To find a moment...

Start from the beginning

- You have a very beautiful home, lady Denham - said Susan, sipping her fragrant hot tea from a beautiful cream Cup painted with delicate forget-me-nots - thank you for the invitation.
- Sometimes I think it's too big for me - said Lady Denham, a little sadly - but the Babbingtons persist in stopping at Denham place.
- I think they just don't want to bother you - Susan suggested.
- They rather don't want me to bother them - said the Lady with a grin - Еsther was never a tremulous niece, but neither was I an aunt.
- But you still value her - Susan added.
- She never betrayed me - the Lady replied.
Susan realized that those few words were about the greatest compliment the venerable lady had ever paid.
- Are you sure about Mrs. Campion?-  said the Lady, returning to the conversation at the picnic - has this data been verified?
- To my great regret, yes - Susan said with a heavy sigh - the data is more than reliable.
- But what do you want from me? - Lady Denham asked a reasonable question.
- I need your support - answered Susan, raising one eyebrow - the tournament will start soon, of course, you know about it. As far as I know, all the guest houses are already rented out and the contracts are signed, so Sanditon will soon be inundated with numerous guests. Mr. Parker will make a handsome profit, and will probably be able to cover most of the debts owed to you and Mrs. Campion.
Lady Denham nodded in agreement.
- But that's not all - continued Susan - everyone who wants to participate in the tournament is obliged to make an entrance fee, some of which will go to the prize Fund, and some will go to the organizers of the tournament. Judging by the declared number of participants, the amount is considerable.
- What do you suggest? - the Lady asked, frowning slightly.
-   I'm not suggesting  - replied Susan - I know that you, as the principal creditor, have the right to be reimbursed first, but I ask that  you allow Mr. Sidney Parker to dispose of this money. Thanks to them, he would be able to pay off his debts to Mrs. Campion, which would undoubtedly untie his hands.
- You seem to have provided for everything, Lady Worcester - said Lady Denham - everything except the engagement.
- I'm sure this part Mr. Parker will be able to do it on his own - Susan said - and he has some pretty shrewd friends for that. So what do you say?
- I never had much love for Mr. Parker - Lady Denham began - but Miss Haywood...all right , I agree...
Lady Worcester smiled back at her slyly.
- What do you think about making the ball for the start of the tournament a charity event? - Susan asked, squinting slightly - I understand it's going to take place in this beautiful house.
- Your appetites are growing, lady Worcester  - Lady Denham said with a grin - but I like that you don't beat around the Bush. all right, I agree.
- What will you do with Mrs. Campion? - asked Lady Denham - this lady is sure to come to the ball with all her retinue.
- I think we will try to cope with it - with a smile answered Susan - I have some experience of communication in the hight society.
- You can count on me - Lady Denham said, frowning  - I can't stand traitors.
- I'm glad we understand each other - Susan said with a smile.
Lady Denham nodded at her and asked:
- Maybe some more tea?

He stood under a spreading oak tree and stared at the pond. Large drops of rain, hitting the water with force, formed large bubbles, which for some reason so fascinated him that he could not take his eyes off them.
- I think it was time for you to go home a long time ago - said Esther, taking her husband's hand - I've managed to miss you.
He looked at her as if he had awakened from a dream.
- I was just thinking - he said, frowning slightly - what Augusta said...she...she's right.
- Augusta got a little excited - said Esther - if you were a bad brother she wouldn't be here at all.
Babbington paused again and stared at the water.
- Well, no, it's just unbearable - said Esther, turning with a jerk of a husband to yourself - you shouldn't feel bad in what is not and never has been. You and Augusta are the best and most loving siblings I've ever seen in my life.
He took a deep breath and smiled at her.
- Do you really think so? - Babbington asked.
- I always say what I think - she said - don't you know that?
- What should I do with Mr. Stringer? - asked Babbington - obviously, I'm not ready to be the father of such an adult daughter yet.
- Do not rush to conclusions, calmly talk to Augusta and look at him - advised Esther - maybe everything is not as terrible as it seems at first glance.
- You're right, I should have listened to you - he said - you would have coped much better.
- Well, listen to me now, let's go back to the house - said Esther.
He smiled at her and turned to lead her back to the house, carefully covering her with his umbrella.
- So what did you say about being a father? -  Esther asked...

- Are you warm? - he asked, leaning so close to her face that she could feel his hot breath on her lips.
- Yes - she whispered, instinctively pressing closer to him and not wanting to move away.
Raindrops, tapping on the roof of an incredibly beautiful rhythm, amicably flowed down the massive columns and disturbed the large ivy leaves. The wind died down a little, the sky brightened a little and became much warmer. The storm that had so recently covered them and disrupted their picnic was gradually becoming a warm summer rain.
She drew back a little to look into his eyes. He gently took her hands in his and pressed them to his chest.
- I probably never in my life was so glad that it started to rain - smiling, said Sidney - even as a child. All day I just dreamed that we could be alone.
- So did I - said Charlotte - but we never finished the contest."
- It doesn't matter - he said - today I already got the most valuable prize.
- But you really could have won - Charlotte said - and I missed my chance.
- Are you really so upset about losing? - asked Sidney - it's just a game, after all.
- No, of course not - with a smile replied Charlotte - I just made such a stupid mistake. Allison, for example, would never do that. She always has the patience for everything.
Charlotte suddenly looked down and thought. Sidney gently took her chin and lifted her face. She opened her eyes and looked at him.
- You miss her... - Sidney concluded - and throughout the family.
- I miss them very much - quietly said Charlotte, in the corners of her eyes flashed the tears - I have not seen them. I get letters from home, but it's not the same, you know?
- I missed my family when I lived in Antigua, too - Sidney said - I understand you, Charlotte.
- It was much more difficult for you - she said - I have you here and have friends, and you had to be all alone in a foreign country.
- It was a long time ago, but it's not worth remembering - Sidney said.
- I suppose you're right - Charlotte said, smiling.
- Listen, why don't you want to invite your family here, to Sanditon, to the tournament - suddenly asked Sidney - I think they might be interested, and I would love to meet them.
Charlotte frowned slightly as she considered Sidney's offer.
- I don't think my mother and father will want to leave Willingden - said Charlotte.
- What about your sister? - he asked - the others, I understand, are too small to travel without their parents.
- Allison wanted to see the sea - Charlotte said dreamily - not to mention a joust.
- Well, then you just need to write to her - said Sidney with a smile - and if she hurries, she will still have time to get to the ball in honor of the opening of the tournament.
Charlotte's face lit up with joy, and she threw her arms up and put her arms around his neck and kissed his prickly cheek tenderly.
- No one half knows how kind and good you really are - she said in his ear.
- Let's this remains a mystery - almost in a whisper replied Sidney - I have a reputation to maintain.
Charlotte laughed, and, drawing back a little and making a serious face, said:
- Very well, Mr. Parker, your secret is safe with me!
Sidney smiled and pulled her close. Leaning down, he kissed her gently on the lips. Charlotte answered him timidly, making him forget everything around him. Sidney was happy and wished that the rain would never end....

#Sanditon #Sidlotte #Sanditonfanfiction