Substantial conversation

Start from the beginning

Sidney didn't want to miss a moment with Charlotte. He reached the hotel in no time, and after making sure that the ladies had already left, set off at a brisk pace in the direction of the arena.
Sydney saw them at the entrance to Crawford garden. Charlotte and Augusta walked slowly toward the Park, talking enthusiastically. He quickened his pace and caught up with them.
- Miss Hаywood, Lady Augusta- said Sidney, bowing - Lord Babbington asked me to escort you to the arena and back.
- Mr. Parker - the ladies said almost in unison, and curtsied.
- Well, if Lord Babbington insists on it - said Charlotte, squinting slightly - then of course you can accompany us.
- My brother didn't say anything to me - Augusta said thoughtfully - but I'm glad to see you, Mr. Parker.
Sydney smiled at her and they moved on. There was an oppressive silence for several minutes. Sidney's presence embarrassed Augusta, and Charlotte felt it, but she didn't know how to start a conversation. Sidney had come to her rescue.
- My brother uses bathing machines here in Sanditon - he said - lady Augusta, have you ever used one of these?
- Oh, no, Mr. Parker - said Augusta - I want to, but I can't make up my mind. Miss Heywood offers to accompany me.
- Miss Heywood is an expert in morning bathing - Sidney said, then added - as far as I know.
Charlotte looked down, confused.
- Everything here is so interesting - said Augusta - why my brother never brought me here? I didn't even go to his wedding, because I was living in a boarding house in France.
- Do you speak French? - Charlotte asked.
- I do, but not very well - Augusta admitted.
Charlotte smiled at her and stole a glance at Sydney. He watched her closely. Her cheeks flushed. She remembered last night as well as he did, the warmth of his hot hands and body, the peace and strength that came from him. Charlotte would have given anything to be alone with him again. He was the only person she liked to be silent with.
- Will the ladies be able to participate in the tournament? - asked Augusta - That would be so interesting. Although... we're not knights...
Sidney looked at Charlotte with interest.
- I thought about it - she said - I can't say if there are other people willing, but I would love to participate in such competitions!
- Yes? and in what disciplines? - he asked.
Charlotte looked at him with a sly smile, narrowing her eyes a little.
- Well, at least three - she said - rifle shooting, archery, and horse racing.
" Really?" Are you a good shot?  asked by Sidney
- Well enough to want to participate in the tournament - said Charlotte - I trained quite a lot.
- And you were able to use your skill? - he asked with a smile.
- Yes, I used to hunt hares quite often in Willingden - said Charlotte, smiling - and quite successfully.
Sidney looked at her in surprise.
- The hares are very small and fast - said Augusta - how did you do it?
Charlotte only laughed in response, shrugging his shoulders.
- Miss Hеywood, what about rowing? - Sidney asked again, looking into her eyes .
Charlotte remembered the regatta, the boat, and their conversation about marriage compatibility. For a moment, she felt the warmth of his hands again, and the excitement of his touch. She looked confused, but didn't look away. Sydney looked at her now as he had looked at her in the boat before the regatta. Her heart began to beat wildly, and the blood rushed back to her cheeks. He smiled at her.
- Mr. Parker, you know that's not my strong suit - Charlotte said, still embarrassed.
- I am not an expert - Sidney began - but I'm sure in your case it's just a matter of training and choosing the right teacher.
His words made Charlotte blush even more.
- I'm sure - Sidney continued - that you're one of those people with whom you can live all your life and continue to be surprised by something new every day.
Charlotte lowered her eyes, unable to look at him or answer a word.
- Do you agree with me, Lady Augusta? - Sidney added.
- Oh, Yes - she said with a smile - Miss Heywood is an amazing person.
- Thank you - Charlotte said softly, unable to look up.
- Here's the arena - Sidney said - I hope you like it, Lady Augusta.
Augusta's reaction to the arena under construction was difficult to overestimate. She was delighted with her size and the elegance of the lines. Augusta was laughing and clapping her hands, like a child enjoying Christmas presents. Sydney and Charlotte looked at each other, pleased with the impression they had made.