chapter 23

Chapter 23

The twins were a little bit freaked out. They weren't freaked out due to their surroundings or the fact that they could hear strange noises in the deep and dark woods. They were freaked out about Laylian and Sylvester, in particular how casual they were about being stuck in a dark forest with scary noises surrounding them. The nine people continued doing what they were doing before the noises happened, though they were more aware of their surroundings now.

It took a total of around two minutes before Erin gave up "Ugh I'm going to look for them..." She stood up and wrapped her cardigan further around her exposed middle. The rest of the group watched her closely for a solid ten seconds and she was quick to bark "What? Think I'm scared to go into the dark woods? They mustn't have gotten very far." Her voice became weaker at the end as she tried to pull herself together.

Brandon sighed before pulling Alex up and they went to stand beside Erin "We'll come with you, they shouldn't have gotten too far. Like you say. It'll be safer if we all go together." They got their bags and followed the direction that Bryan , Darius and Lawrence went. Alex gave a small wave and smile as they left. That was another thing that shocked the four friends. Alex spoke directly to them for the first time.

There was only six of them left. It seemed that the atmosphere somewhat lightened. "This didn't turnm out as expected did it?" Eden asked cheerfully. Though the noises continued and the darkness was only getting darker, Eden still remained optimistic and happy. Devin smiled at her cousin before they walked closer to the four new friends. "Sorry about this ..." Eden trailed off mysteriously.

"Sorry for what?" Tyrell asked suspiciously. The evening hadn't been to bad. Other then the spooks, they got the courage to go somewhere that they wanted to go and now they were there and having a good time reading books and taking pictures with their new friends. Kelso seemed sad that she wasn't spending more time with other people, though she was very happy talking to Laylian. Kelso was rather social and enjoyed talking to a group, though like most people who are not extroverts, they had their limits.

"Oh it's jus-" "-Nothing!" Devin interrupted Eden suddenly, she had a worried look on her face and she sent Eden a small glare. "It's...nothing really" Devin gave a slight smile. Sylvester was very certain that something was going on between the group. They were being left out of something and Sylvester wasn't sure if it was a good thing or a bad thing, he was leaning more towards a bad thing. No member of the four friends forgot about the awkwardness or strange behaviour.

There was another ten minutes of casual activities. The group of four friends were still doing what they were doing before except this time the cousins were listening to the conversations and asking questions. Kelso was happy to share photography tips with them and Tyrell was less enthusiastic but he still told them about what they had missed in the earlier plot.

"Eden can you come with me for a minute? I think I dropped something back there?" Devin asked whilst looking through her bag hurriedly. This caused Eden to look up with wide eyes and an opened mouth. After a few seconds of blinking her mouth shut and she furrowed her eyebrows.

"You? You've dropped or lost something? ...have pigs started to fly?" Eden teased cheerfully but the look on Devin's face made her pause for a second. "Oh umm...you're not joking...okay....oh yeah I'll come with you!" Eden stood up slowly, as though she didn't want to leave the conversation. Devin was practically dancing, she seemed very anxious to get back whatever she had dropped.

"Would you like us to come and help?" Laylian asked politely, her kind nature shining through. The panic on Devin's face was rather unsettling and Laylian wished to help cheer her up. Sylvester sent Laylian a quick warning glance, he was extremely worried that something was going to happen. He had the looming sense of foreshadowing.

"Oh no it's ...uh something personal." Devin picked her bag up and pulled it on her shoulder. "We'll uh..we'll be back when we find it!" Devin gave a small wave before she rushed off in the direction that they came from, the opposite direction to where the other members of the group had disappeared. Eden stayed behind a moment to reassure them that they'll be back, before she hurried after her cousin.

The four friends looked at where the two cousins vanished before Sylvester spoke up "Did anyone notice that they all took their bags with them?" Tyrell sighed whilst he ran a hand down his face. Kelso gave a small gasp before looking around them, the light off the fire showed no bags or belongings. Laylian was quiet she felt an odd sense of betrayal .

"So ...do you guys think it was their plan to...just leave us here? Cause that's a bit lame?" Kelso asked worriedly. If it was just leaving them in the woods that would probably work out fine, they would be able to find their way out in the morning. Though if they put so much effort into getting them out there , even going so far as to have eight of them join to make it seem like they were going camping' what is there to say that there wasn't anything more?

"It is a bit...lack lustre? If that's the right term...but they did seem very freaked out by the forest, I don't' think they're that good of actors." Tyrell replied to his sister. They were all somewhat on edge now. The girls got closer to each other whilst Sylvester went to sit by Tyrell's legs.

The four of them were on edge the rest of the evening and they didn't get much sleep. Though none of them really minded surprisingly. They had warm beverages, nice company and some good stories to tell. They talked about what they were planning to do the next day when the woods are lighter and they could see everything clearly. They planned to see what was on the other side of the forest. According to google maps it actually wasn't that big of a forest so the twisn thought it would be a nice walk.