CHAPTER 54 - Listen

Wednesday 10.12.22

A chill ran down my spine as I observed the magazine that was sprawled on my dining table. It was shoved with a very familiar face causing my heart to tug. It wasn't a surprise seeing his face on the front cover after taking over one of the largest companies in the country.

His dark green eyes charmingly gleamed as he wore a black suit which perfectly hugged his toned and muscular body.

'Grayson Stone the new CEO of the Stone Company'

It read.

It wasn't a surprise to see this after stepping back into Harlow after over a month and although I had all the facts to sum up to this, I still felt lost and confused.

Apparently, he had been arranging to take over his father's company ever since he returned to Harlow, which explained those specific days when I was over here and he couldn't make up for the meet-ups at immediacy.

However, this was Gray we were speaking about.

Though I hadn't spoken to him ever since I went back to Queens, El filled me in with the information I had actually so badly wanted to know.

What happened to him in those three years when he left us?

Northor.

A place 3 hours from here.

The place Gray went straight to after he had left Harlow three years ago.

It was a complete surprise when I had found out he had taken a course in business, despite the fact that it was the only course that accepted him. Gray was practically allergic to anything Mark did, and to find out that he had taken the very subject that practically consumed Mark, was a real shock.

I was completely mind-blown when I heard it and when Mark confirmed it for me, I was in even more astonishment.

In all honesty, I was beyond happy. Mark had always prayed for this to happen, ever since I got to know him. He wanted his son to take over the company and expand it even further, but Gray was so adamant about not pleasing his father.

I still couldn't seem to understand in what mindset or intention Gray had towards finally doing this, but in a way, it did make me less mad at him.

It was only last week when it became official that Gray would now become the CEO of the Stone company and although I wish I could simply run up to him and congratulate him for all those time we have been persuading him to take this exact step, it slightly pained me that I was unable to celebrate the good news to the fullest.

El hosted a mini party on Sunday to celebrate it and I had purposely informed her that I was busy that day and I couldn't come. It wasn't a complete lie.

I had already arranged that day to hang out with Joanna and Lily and although it wouldn't have been too hard to simply cancel it, I was grateful that it took place on the very day of Gray's gathering.

However, not ever entering Harlow was also inevitable.

I thought Gray would have left by now, but that was until he got the position of the CEO.

All along I had been waiting for him to leave just so that I can go back to Harlow for a while and spend some time with Roni, but all my plans were failed especially because every time I asked the others if he was still here, their reply was always a yes.

Though my mind was initially so riled up with the whole Gray situation, when I was hired for a company, I found a new hope flourish through. It was like a light had been struck in my long, dark tunnel.