CHAPTER 15 - Pain

Monday 30.06.15

I took my usual seat at the back of the library, away from all the other students and reached out for my textbook. Sighing, I turned over to the page where Mrs Stockwell set us homework on. I rested my head against my hand, attempting to read over the text which really didn't seem to interest me in the slightest bit. 

My eyes caught onto a group of students giggling amongst themselves, not bothered about disturbing the few students that used the space efficiently to study. They were students from the upper years, ones I barely got to see due to their separate building. The upper years were the only students who weren't affected by us especially as a result of their limited knowledge towards the hatred that the lower grades possessed over us. 

They laughed so carelessly, enjoying this precious moment. My mind wandered off thinking about my own future, imaging a time where we would be this grown up and laughing together. The mere image of the six of us taking over their seats filled my head. 

Roni messing around with Toby with El trying to defend him, despite laughing at her jokes. Mase attempting to get Roni's attention as he ruffles her precious hair, only causing her to get aggressive with him. And Gray. Gray making the most obvious yet savage comments that will cause us to all to burst out in agreement. I could imagine it all happening and though moments with my friends were just a small memory, they had a great significance in my heart. 

Realisation suddenly daunted on me as I viewed the table once again, finding the smile I didn't realise that had formed its way on my lip, immediately falter. It won't be the six of us. I will never be able to grow up with them and laugh with them when we are all 17. I'll never be able to go out with them to try new experiences in the future, especially when I knew that I'd once again have to move to another town sooner or later. 

The plain thought of it terrified me, tightening my chest as I feared the one thing I knew was bound to happen: losing them. 

El, the sweetest girl who is always showing her warm affection to each one of us. 

Toby, the quietest amongst us all but the one who deeply understands us, genuinely considerate of us all. 

Roni who was so tough, having the ability to defend anyone who got in our way. 

Mase, the one who makes sure we all smile at least once a day, bringing a stimulating brightness to our lives. 

Then Gray. Though he may seem cold-hearted, his protective nature and true concern for every member was never left unnoticed. 

Losing every single one of them, broke my heart, shattering every power I had in me. Without realising I had slowly become depended on them all, relying on them for the growing strength in my heart. 

Days became less worrisome as I started to enjoy even the smallest times with them and I couldn't bear to ever let that fall from me. Leaving these people won't be anything like leaving the friends I had in South Barn, this was far worse and I knew I'd collapse into a dark hole, constricting any joy that was left in me. 

I was suddenly startled as the chair opposite me was abruptly pulled and possessively taken. My eyes found a pair of enticing emerald green orbs and I was taken aback from shock. "Gray?" My voice came out slightly breathless, astonished to see him here as I felt my heart slowly pick its pace up.

"History." His voice scrunched in disgust as he viewed the textbook that was left open and unused in front of me. I blinked twice, still trying to process what was happening before finally moving my gaze away from him.  "What are you doing here?" My voice was weak, displaying my vulnerable nature as I felt caught under his intense eyes.