Chapter One

Twelve years later

I groaned as I got out of bed. I stretched out my sore limbs and made my way into my bathroom. I splashed some cold water on my face before sparing a glance at the mirror. My eyes had prominent bags under them and my hair was a complete mess. Tangles everywhere and it was sticking up in directions you wouldn't think would even be possible. I was going to take a shower but my laziness got the better of me, I will just take one later.

It was four in the morning so I decided to go shoot some arrows for a few hours. Everyone else was still asleep. This was my most tranquil time of everyday. When I woke up from my nightmares I would go down to the shooting course and practice. I grabbed my wooden bow with intricate carvings lining it and my arrows. I quietly opened the front door and made my way down the familiar gravel path. I kept walking down the path until I reached the woods. I walked through the tall trees that were coated with water from last nights summer rain. The weather has been relatively nice lately making training ten times easier.

I never usually have to worry about passing anyone on my way to the course since mostly everyone is still sleeping. I pulled an arrow out of the quiver and adjusted it so it connected perfectly with the string of the bow. I pulled back and let the arrow fly, landing right on the bullseye just like every time.

I pulled another one out and did that to every target on the course.

"Octavia? Where are you?" My dad mind-linked.

"Practicing archery I'll be back in an hour or two." I spoke before blocking off the connection.

I decided to challenge myself a bit more I ran into the woods and began shooting the targets that were hanging from the tops of the trees. I went to shoot one when I saw something fall out of now where, what the heck is that? It was a wolf but... but it didn't look like a wolf? It was half human half werewolf. I raised my bow prepared to defend myself. Since I am not a witch or a werewolf I don't have anything that will help me other than combat which is why I have been trained since I was really young to fight. As I've gotten older I've been able to channel my demon to improve my speed and strength but then again, only when I can control it.

The wolf bared it's teeth at me, as it stalked closer. It let out one more vicious growl before it charged at me. It didn't have the chance to even lay a paw on me as my arrow cut up through its underbelly. It whined as it curled
up on the ground, dead. I was able to get a better look at it now, patches of its dirty clumped gray fur were missing all over its body. I could make out a hand on its right side but the left was definitely a claw.

"Dad! There was a rogue that got through the borders, I took care of it but send Jake or Brent please, something isn't right about this one." I spoke through our link.

"On my way." He spoke completely ignoring me asking for Brent or Jake to come take a look.

About three minutes passed before the three of them were at my location.

"Good thing you had that bow with you. Not that you wouldn't have been able to take it on without it." Chuckled Brent. Jake walked over to the rogues body and began examining it.

"I think you should get Brielle here, this looks like something I know for a fact she knows about." Jake spoke to my dad.

"Octavia go home please." My dad said to me.

"I'm old enough to handle this Dad."

"Tomorrow is your birthday and I'm sure your sister is going to want you and James to help her finish everything up." He told me.

"She isn't even going to be awake for another few hours, it's only six in the morning." I complained. I wanted to be included with the important pack stuff. If I was responsible enough to fight with the pack and be one of the best warriors I should get to be included with this.

"This isn't up for debate." He growled.

"Why won't you let me stay here and help, I was the one who was attacked by the wolf I should get to know." I spoke irritated.

"I'm next in line to be Alpha I should get to know!" I yelled knowing that, that was the worst thing I could have done.

"You are not next in line to be the Alpha! You aren't even a freaking wolf! Now go home!" He roared.

I frowned and turned around walking away from them. I should be Alpha of the pack once dad steps down not James, all because of the way I was born. Once I got home I slammed the door open almost crashing into my mom who was on her way out.

"Honey? What's the matter?" She asked me looking me over.

"Nothing I'm just going upstairs to try to take a nap." I frowned.

"We'll talk later." She told me giving me a pointed look before heading out the door and going to see my dad I'm assuming. I walked up the stairs and closed my door before plopping down on my bed. Why couldn't I just be normal? I would be able to lead the pack since I'm the oldest by a few seconds.

"Hey Tia." I glanced at the door to see Lydia walking in. I was jealous of her the most out of everyone. She was stunning, with her long wavy dark brown hair, her crystal blue eyes, and the freckles that scattered her face made her look like a model. She never wore makeup because in all honestly she doesn't need it. She is taller than my mom and I but not by much just a few inches. She's probably about 5"4 whereas Mom's 4"8 and I'm 5"1 on a good day.

It really sucks being that short let me tell you. The only benefit is that people underestimate me making it easier to take them down in a fight.

"Hey Lydia." I forced a smile.

"What's bugging you?" She asked walking in and taking a seat next to me, she was playing with the ends of her grey skater dress.

"Nothing I'm fine."

"You may be able to get away with that nonsense with mom and dad, but not me." She spoke giving me a 'you better tell the truth' look.

"I'm just tired of everything, of having to have a demon in me, of dad not taking me seriously, I've just had enough."

"I get it, it sucks you should get to be the Alpha but you have to admit it, James is a wolf he will be able to lead the pack the best out of the three of us." She spoke not really taking a side.

"Want to come help me finish putting everything together for tomorrow?" She asked.

"I mean tomorrow may be the last day we see each other for a while." She frowned pulling me into a hug.

"Lets go make James help." She laughed knowing well that our brother was more than likely still sound asleep.