Chapter Thirty-Eight

I woke up startled. I felt a heavy feeling settle throughout my chest. What was that? I glanced down at my sleeping mate and looked over at the small bassinet for Ryder. There were monitors attached to the bassinet as a precaution in case his little lungs or heart struggle at night. Mae told us an alarm would sound if there was an emergency. He was sleeping soundly for now at least. I could even hear faint, soft snores coming from him. I smiled as I watched him for a little while.

"What's wrong?" Ryland spoke, his voice groggy and hoarse from just waking up. He sat up slowly, rubbing his eyes before snaking an arm around my waist. He nuzzled into my neck breathing in my scent, as he peppered gentle kisses along my neck and shoulder.

"Nothing, go back to sleep." I whispered pressing a gentle kiss to his lips. I felt so sore down there, but decided I needed to get up for a little bit.

I slowly put pressure on my feet before standing up, keeping my arms out slightly for balance. I waddled into the closet and pulled on a pair of large sweatpants before leaving the room. I needed to talk to Lydia.

I made my way down the hallway and paused when I reached their door. Maybe I should turn around. It is the middle of the night. I needed to talk to her about what happened. I needed to make sure she was alright after... all of that.

I slowly raised my hand to the door but before I could knock the door cracked open. I could see Lydia standing there, she looked exhausted but relieved to see me. She swung the door open and flung herself at me. I nearly jumped but I relaxed when I felt sobs wrack through her body as she hugged me like her life depended on it.

"I'm s-so so s-sorry." She cried. "I-I never meant to hurt you, to hurt anyone."

I heard the floorboards creak and saw Kolton walk over rubbing his eyes.

"What happened?" He asked walking over to us, standing in the doorframe.

"Can you just give us a minute?" I asked him quietly, as I ran a hand up and down her back.

"Of course, it's not like it's the middle of the night or anything." He groaned walking down the hallway and towards the stairs.

"It wasn't your fault." I whispered. "None of this was your fault so stop blaming yourself." I told her holding onto her shoulders.

"I'm sorry I hurt you when I killed it, I wasn't in control." I frowned.

"N-No you have nothing to apologize for, Octavia. You saved me." She breathed, holding onto me tighter.

We just hugged each other and cried for a while. I just needed my sister back again and I think deep down some part of her needed me too. We were both losing ourselves in the chaos of this war and all the magic that came with it.

"I'm going to go check on the Ry's." I chuckled to myself.

"The Ry's?" She asked with a confused look.

"Your nephews name is Ryder Darkstone Woods." I couldn't help the smile that took over my face thinking about our precious baby.

A smile took over her face as tears filled her eyes. She immediately pulled me into another bone crushing hug.

"Congratulations." She smiled.

"I'll introduce him to everyone in the morning, but for now I really should go back, Ryland won't be too thrilled if he wakes up and I'm gone." I chuckled softly thinking about my sometimes overly protective mate. She just nodded and walked me back before leaving to go tell Kolton he could go back to his bed.

I slowly walked in and saw Ryder's pitch black eyes open staring up at me. I smiled as I walked over and carefully picked him up. He was grabbing at my shirt with his little fists and starting to fuss, so I quickly fed him, before gently patting his back.