Chapter Ten

TW: guns/violence

We are currently sitting in the living room. Mom, Dad, Ryland, Jeremiah and Kolton. They are Rylands betas who I plan on getting to know more in the planning for this battle I fear is creeping up on us.

"Alpha." We all looked over at the door getting pulled from our thoughts.

"We have news, the trackers have found a lead..." Ryland didn't even allow the boy to finish before he was standing and walking towards him.

"There were reports of thousands of bones found on the northern coast and...sir I can't explain this in words, you need to go see it at the earliest convenience."

"Get a team together we move in twenty minutes. Now!" He spoke angrily.

He began moving towards the door when I quickly got up and hurried towards him.

"I know what you're going to ask and the answer is no." We were now halfway up the stairs.

"Ryland, I am in the middle of this. I will be there with or without your permission." I spoke calmly.

"That's exactly why you are not going, you are too important in all of this, I can't risk anything happening to you." He snapped.

"You are impossible!" I whisper yelled.

"I'm not taking no for an answer, I'm going." I snapped and pushed past him but before I could get far he grabbed onto my wrist quickly turning me to face him.

His eyes were flickering between their usual dark green color and dark red. He was taking deep breaths trying to look away from me. Instead of continuing to make him angry I stepped closer resting my head on his abdomen he loosened his grip on my wrists allowing me to wrap them around his waist. His breathing evened and he quickly wrapped his arms around me tightly. I could feel the tingles running through every part of my body. In this moment it felt like it was just the two of us on this entire dreadful planet, making it feel perfect.

He slowly pulled away and placed his hand on my cheek.

"I'll let you go, but you are not to leave my side and if anything happens you run, I don't care what you think, you run." He whispered. I nodded and leaned my cheek back against his abdomen missing the warmth.

"We need to leave." He spoke slowly pulling away. I just nodded and he pulled my hand into his before walking down the stairs.

I'm supposed to be strong, so why do I feel so weak around him.

When we got outside there was a group of five men all in black cargo pants and a black shirt. All of them had various weapons on them as well.

We began walking through the woods in the direction the trackers had found. The leaves crunching under our boots as we walked through the cold woods. We passed the pack border guards as they walked around the perimeter, each of them armed with guns.

We kept walking when I felt Ryland tense up next to me.

"What is it?" I whispered.

Immediately Ryland pulled me to the ground covering my body with his. The sounds of bullets flying past our heads was deafening.

"Kolton, get around them!" Ryland ordered not getting off of me.

Kolton quickly shifted into his wolf before running the opposite way of the gunfire.

"It's an ambush. They knew we were coming." He growled.

"You need to get out of here. Now!" He yelled at me rolling off. I ignored him and quickly got to my feet running in the directions of the gunshots. They were concealed well but I just need one of them to make a mistake. I slid behind a tree quickly for cover.