Chapter Thirty-Two

I froze at the table as did many of the other people surrounding it.

Mom and Lydia were already working on creating portals to get various packs warriors stationed here. But there wasn't nearly enough time and from the sound of it we were severely outnumbered. I thought we would have more time. I needed more time.

Ryland was furious and immediately left to go scope out the area and make sure all children and elderly were in the bunkers. As well as Kolton who began organizing the warriors. I walked over to the window and looked out cautiously as I felt someone walk next to me.

"They are here for me." I breathed.

"You have my word. I won't let them take you again." Jeremiah whispered.

"Kill me, if you have to." I breathed. "I can't go back there." I said so quietly I wasn't entirely sure if he could hear me.

"Octav..."

"Promise me." I cut him off this time tearing my eyes away from the window to look up at him.

"I-I-don't know if I can." He sighed.

"Please, Jeremiah." I whispered.

"I promise." He spoke cautiously reaching for my hand, squeezing it softly. I returned my gaze back to the window when the ground began shaking around us. A loud bang went off as I watched snow rise from the ground in a cloud of white powder.

"We need to go help." I whispered shaking my hand out of his grip. "I think you should stay in the bunkers; you aren't healed yet a-and the baby." He muttered, his light blue eyes pleading. But this was my fault. I needed to go out and help destroy these self-centered, overpowered assholes.

I walked out with him right on my heels. I quickly pulled my daggers out of their sheaths as we walked out of the meeting room.

"Octavia!" I jumped as James, Lydia and Kolton hurried towards where Jeremiah and I stood. "Where are we going Tia?" I gave them all confused looks and looked up at Jeremiah. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I wasn't powerful anymore; I couldn't scare them away with the threat of destroying them. What do I do? What can I even do anymore? I looked at all their awaiting faces, the people I cared about were all at stake and there was nothing I could do to stop it.

"W-w-what if I can talk to them? Maybe try to make a bargain." I muttered looking at my exhausted sister and rage filled brother.

"It could buy us time for the rest of the warriors to get through the portal." James spoke raising a calloused hand to cover his mouth. "Just promise Tia, that you will run and get out if you need to. You are a strong ass fighter, don't forget it." He growled before quickly turning on his heel to alert the others. Lydia looked at me with dark yet sorrow-filled eyes.

"Are you back?" I barely whispered to her. She just nodded subtly and that was all I needed. I quickly turned away from them and began walking towards the front door.

The second I opened it I crashed into Ryland's hard chest.

"Absolutely not." He growled so viciously I almost felt the urge to run. He gripped my waist pulling me hard against chest. "They will kill you." He nearly yelled.

"I can do this, Ryland." I breathed slowly looking up into his conflicted eyes. "We are out of options."

"Dammit Octavia." He snapped. "I can't lose you."

"You need to go help your pack, let me do what I can." I breathed. That seemed to snap him out of his thoughts. He just nodded cautiously and bent down brushing his lips against mine.

"Be careful, please." He whispered. "I love you."

"I love you." I breathed back, trying to calm my own thoughts. This had to work. He walked out with me, hand in hand. I could see the thousands of warriors with the 'x' imprinted on their shoulders standing along the tree line. Each one on the front seemed to be holding a hostage. I raised a shaky hand to cover my mouth at the sight.

Ryland squeezed my hand gently before withdrawing his daggers. I did the same, holding it loosely at my side. The snow was crunching under our boots as we made our way towards them.

I nearly sprinted the other direction as Cade emerged from the lines of werewolves and towards us. I will not cower away. I will not be afraid of him, not anymore. I tried to reason with myself as we continued in his direction. I could feel Ryland tensing next to me as a vicious smile took over Cade's face.

"Hello Octavia, dearest." He chuckled, stopping a few feet away from us. Time. I just needed to buy us time.

"I want to talk." I snapped trying to keep my voice from shaking.

"How is the baby? You think I wouldn't have found out? Truly offended you would keep something like that from me, especially since we are family." He mocked a look of hurt and disbelief while raising a hand over his heart, if he even had one.

"Enough." I snapped at him. "Who really are you?" I refused to show any signs of the fear I truly felt deep down.

He tensed visibly caught off guard by my question.

"Maybe I did have them hit you too hard." He spoke, but still remained tense.

"Who really are you Cade?" I spat out. He immediately drew his dagger. "How long have you been controlling him?"

He closed his eyes as his neck began snapping in unsettling angles, his hands raising to grip his hair.

"K-k-kill me." A voice rasped out. "KILL ME!" He roared. I was immediately shoved behind Ryland, falling down into the snow in the process.

"KILL MEEEE!" He screamed dropping to his knees.

I watched with wide eyes as the warriors dragged their knives along the necks of the hostages. No. No. No. No. NO.

I looked away only to be met with hundreds of our pack warriors lined up, heavily armed. No one else will die. Not because of me. I slowly got to my feet and looked at Cade. I raised my dagger to my throat and stepped in front of Ryland.

Cade and Ryland both stared at me wide eyed.

"Octavia." Ryland warned. "Put it down."

"You little bitch." Growled Cade as he fought himself for control.

The warriors with Cade charged for us, think, think, think. I pressed the dagger further against my throat drawing blood. I ignore the stinging feeling as blood trickled.

"Octavia." Ryland warned lowly. Cade looked at me with hard eyes as he slowly raised a hand, halting all of his warriors in the process.

"I didn't expect this from you." He chuckled darkly. "But you are still useless, you are still worthless and that will never change. Don't forget my promises that I made to you at the temple. I saw everything in your mind. I saw all your weaknesses." His eyes snapped from mine to Ryland.

I felt my eyes widen as the dagger dropped to the ground out of my shaky hand. I watched in horror as Ryland dropped to the ground clutching at his throat, gasping for air. His eyes were glowing red as he tried to shift into his wolf but couldn't.

"Stop." I screamed at him. "Please stop!"

Ryland was struggling in the snow as he gripped his throat, his eyes starting to fade.

"You did this, Octavia." He smiled manically. The warriors charged again towards us. I gripped my hair trying to think.

"Stop, please!" I begged him kneeling down touching Ryland.

His breaths were becoming shallow. I can't do this. I can't lose him. I gripped my hair screaming out as I felt the familiar power course through my body. I watched Cade's eyes widen slightly as his phantom grip on Ryland faded into nothing.

"Hello human." Was the last thing I heard before hell erupted.