Chapter Thirty-Three

"You're alive." I breathed as I felt myself transition into my subconscious.

"The gods fear us for a reason." Was her only reply, as I watched the snow turn black around Ryland and I. The darkness slithering around, creeping behind the unsuspecting enemies.

I felt the darkness flow from my blood, my bones, as it devoured the clearing. The sunlight, turning to nothing but controlled darkness as my power was unleashed. The rage, the torment, everything I felt while trapped in that cell fought it's way out to give them in one second what I had experienced over months. The wall of shadows rising, creating a divide between Cade and his army from ours. I could hear Ryland giving orders behind me, that was all I needed to hear, to know he was alright. That I didn't fail. Not yet.

My power supply felt infinite, like I had nothing to lose.

Darkness blanketed everything. I could hear screams in the distance but knew it wasn't anyone fighting alongside my pack. A loud crack echoed throughout the sky as streaks of light fought to diminish the darkness, but no such thing was possible. Not now.

There were more screams of terror as I felt bones being snapped, I could feel them running, trying to get away. They harmed innocents, they deserved worse.

I took a deep breath as the shadows, like tendrils made up of smoke, snaked around my body in a protective manor as I walked through the darkness. I could hear someone screaming my name, but I didn't care. I kept walking. It was pitch black, but I could feel, I could see everything. I could control everything in here. I wasn't being tortured and beaten senseless; I was out. I was safe now.

I felt a hand grip my wrist; sparks shot up my forearm at the feeling.

Mate.

I immediately took a calming breath as I felt the shadows retract back into my body, the light shone in the clearing once again. I raised a hand to my mouth. The once white snow was stained black and was littered in blood and dismembered bodies. I heard wheezing and coughs in the distance causing me to jump back against Ryland.

It was Cade.

His body was snapped in angles that made bile rise in my throat. His neck was snapped to the side, what normally would've been a killing blow. His spine seemed to be broken in many places. His wrists and legs were stuck in the wrong direction.

I walked over to him slowly.

"I-Is it you?" I asked cautiously.

"Y-Y-Yes." He choked out, blood leaking from his mouth.

"Tell me how to kill you." I breathed.

"D-dagger." He choked. "P-please." I went to ask another question when the earth around us shook in an unearthly manner. I barely had time to react as Ryland grabbed ahold of my waist pulling me back against his chest, just in time to see the ground split open where Cade laid. He screamed out, terror quickly overtaking his face, as he was sucked into the cold ground. The earth quickly resealed itself as if nothing had happened.

"W-what?" I breathed.

"The gods are on his side." I jumped at my mother's voice. When did she get here? She looked at the damage done as if it were nothing.

"Mom?" I whispered. Her eyes immediately snapped to mine as she reached for me, pulling me into a comforting hug.

"I-I are they gone?" I whispered against her shoulder.

"It's over for now, you did what you had to do." She breathed running a hand up and down my back. "You saved so many lives, so many innocent lives." I closed my eyes and took a deep breath before looking at the hundreds of warriors standing behind us watching. The air got caught in my throat as I watched them one by one, kneel into the snow, bowing at us. Mom pulled away from me as well, slowly lowering to her knees, as did Ryland. I didn't deserve this. I felt tears well up in my eyes at the sight, snow was being blown at us from the sharp gusts of winds, yet no one wavered from their bowed positions.

"Ryland." I breathed unsure of what to do. Slowly he stood up as did everyone else. He walked up to me and pulled me flush against his chest. He pressed a kiss to my head before gently gripping my hand and leading me back towards the pack house.

"What happened?" I asked the Shadow Queen.

"I had used all of my energy protecting the boy. I needed time to recover before I could return to your subconscious fully." I immediately stopped in my tracks. A boy. We are having a baby boy.

Ryland scanned me for any injuries as confusion laced his face at my immediate stop.

"W-We are having a boy." I whispered up to him. His eyes shone with surprise.

"A boy?" He breathed gently placing a hand on my somewhat swollen stomach. I nodded and couldn't help myself as a large smile took over my face. Love shone throughout his eyes as he laughed picking me up and spinning me around. He pressed his lips to mine firmly. Before slowly getting on his knees in the snow before me. He softly placed his hand over my stomach again before whispering.

"Hey, little guy." He smiled. "It's your dad, your mom and I can't wait to meet you in a few months. We already love you so, so much." I couldn't help the swell of joy that overtook my heart as Ryland continued whispering sweet nothings to our baby. Before I knew it tears were rushing down my cheeks as I stared down at him. He slowly stood up wiping the tears away before gently kissing my lips.

"She told you?" He whispered, leaning his forehead against mine. I just nodded and smiled up at him.

"Tell her I said thank you, for protecting you and the baby." He whispered.

"Tell him, that I can hear him just fine. But you're welcome." I just rolled my eyes at her response before breaking out into a fit of laughter. This was the lightest I have felt since...well...everything. I just hope it lasts, but deep down a part of me knew this feeling would only be temporary.