Chapter Thirty-One

I laid on my bed by myself, staring at the ceiling. I made sure Ryland left every light on before he left. I looked over at the window, we were in the middle of a blizzard and Ryland was organizing a meeting to go over what I knew. The winds would occasionally rattle the windows reminding me of the rattle of the keys when they would walk to my cell.

I haven't been sleeping, but I think I've been doing a good job at hiding it. I rested my hand on my swollen stomach before I decided to try walking a little. I stood up and walked over to the window watching as the snow pelted against the window. This was something real, I could feel the cold draft hitting my face as I watched. It somehow brought me comfort knowing that this couldn't be a vision from him. I got yanked out of my thoughts when darkness surrounded my vision. I screamed shutting my eyes as I fell to the floor.

——————————————————————

Ryland's POV

I was sitting in my office with Jeremiah sitting across from my desk. He stayed silent and just looked down at his hands as I watched him.

"I do not share the same ability to forgive as my mate. I am glad you protected the pack, but she is apart of this pack, and she is pregnant with the future of this pack. Do you understand?" I growled at him refusing to let my eyes leave his face.

"I will never forgive myself for what I've done. I will regret it every day for the rest of my life. I... I just didn't...I didn't want to risk more of our people getting hurt. I've seen what he can do, I was just scared for the safety of our entire pack. I'm so sorry." He frowned.

"One mistake, one hair out of line, and I will have your head on a spike, do you understand me?" I growled lowly at him as i twirled a pen between my fingers.

"Go with Kolton and ensure the guests make it to the meeting chamber, I'm going to make sure all the pups are inside." I ordered getting up from my chair and leaving without another word.

I walked out the front door and felt the snow hit my skin, as I walked through the accumulating snow.

I scanned the nearby pack grounds and saw no one outside. The half shifters had created their encampment further in the woods just outside our territory as a semi-permanent encampment for the time being.

After scanning the nearby area, I made my way back to the house slamming open the door to be greeted with the dark. I went to flick the light switch and nothing. Great. A fucking power outage.

I mind-linked for someone to get the generators going when I heard a blood curdling scream echo through the house. Octavia. I didn't even stop to think as i sprinted up the stairs. I nearly shifted in the hallway at the thought of a threat. I slammed the door open; it snapped off of its hinges as splinters of wood flew everywhere. I scanned the room and what I saw broke my heart.

There was my mate rocking back and forth in the corner with her hands on her head as tears streamed down her scrunched-up face. I kneeled down in front of her and placed my hands on her cheeks causing her to jump until she came to the realization that it was me. Her eyes filled with tears.

"You're safe, Octavia. There was a power outage. The lights will be back any second now I promise." The look of horror never left her face as she stared at me with wide eyes. "Can I hold you?" I asked softly. She immediately nodded and held her arms out. I scooped her into my lap and softly whispered sweet nothings into her ear.

Her body was shaking so much, what the fuck should I do? I felt so helpless. I quickly stood up with her and walked through the dark hallway and down the stairs. I pushed open the front door and the blinding light from the snow reflected up at us. Her body instantly relaxed against mine as she got her breathing under control.