Chapter Forty

We got back home in a rush of air through the portal. Exhaustion was gnawing at me, I felt drained and probably looked disgusting, covered in black blood. The snow had finally let up. The sun was shining through the normally cloud covered sky reflecting off each pine tree with a glistening glow. Every member of each pack, stood outside watching us, as we walked through the grounds. Everyone suddenly began kneeling, one by one. The half shifters, each and every pack, ally or not. I looked around as we walked past the kneeling warriors. My shoulders felt immensely lighter, knowing the power hungry and corrupted gods were nothing more than a speck of dust between universes now. Ryland held my hand tightly squeezing, pulling me out of my thoughts. We had done it.

We were almost halfway back to the house, when Kolton charged in our direction, he looked furious. He pushed past all of us and went straight towards Lydia. He was about to yell, but instead he reached out pulling her to him and pressing his lips firmly to hers, before lifting her up and spinning her around. Never once letting her body leave his. I glanced back at mom and dad both of them looked exhausted as they held onto each other, watching Lydia with smiles on both of their faces.

I couldn't help the laugh that escaped my mouth at the sight. Cheers, clapping and whistles echoed throughout the clearing as everyone rose to their feet watching Lydia and Kolton. I felt Ryland snake a hand around my waist smiling at everyone as well. We finally reached back to the house and there stood James holding our bundle of joy in his arms.

"You can have him back. I need a drink." He spoke in a rush, standing up and pushing him into my arms. Ryder's dark eyes opening and looking up at me almost mesmerized.

"Hi." I smiled down at him pressing a quick kiss to his head.

"No kid should shit that much." James gagged before trudging out of the room to get information from the others about what happened today.

Ryland and I both looked at each other before we bursted out into a fit of laughter.

"I'll change him." Ryland spoke taking Ryder from me as if he were a biohazard, still laughing. I couldn't help the laughs that escaped my mouth at the sight of my little family. "Go take a shower and change. You're covered in that monsters blood." He spoke scrunching his nose.

I just rolled my eyes but nodded, following close behind him towards our room. I watched from the bathroom door as Ryland tried to figure out how to put a diaper on Ryder. My heart warmed at the sight of Ryland fixing his light blue little hat. I smiled before turning to the mirror. I winced at the sight of me. I looked pale, my hair was dirty and covered in soot. I had a nasty bruise on my jaw and my clothes were stained with black blood. I don't think that's going to come out anytime soon. I shrugged my clothes off and winced when I saw the feint scar lining my abdomen from Cade's dagger. That reminded me. I reached into the hilt on my pant leg, pulling out the obsidian dagger.

"Is that what did it?" Ryland asked wrapping his hands around my waist.

"It did." I whispered, turning to look up into his eyes.

"The gods were controlling him the whole time, Ryland." I whispered, part of me felt bad for not being able to do anything to save him, despite what the gods had done through him.

"You did what you needed to do. The world is a better place now, a safer place." He brought his hand up to gently rest on my cheek. His eyes scanned the bruise that was starting to look a nasty purple color.

"Come on." He whispered pressing a gentle kiss to my lips. He tugged off his pants and black shirt letting them drop to the floor, his boxers followed soon after. He unclasped my bra, and helped me finish removing the rest of my clothing. He lifted me up gently and carried me into the shower. He peppered kisses along my shoulder and neck as the water sprayed against us.

"You're so incredibly beautiful." He breathed into my ear, brushing my hair back with his fingers.

He grabbed the lavender shampoo and rubbed it against my scalp, I couldn't stop the moan that left me at the feeling. I heard him chuckle softly behind me, but I didn't care, it felt so nice. Next he quickly did the conditioner, running his fingers through the strands. Finally he grabbed the body wash and began rubbing it against my skin. I turned and did the same for him. We stood under the water, just holding onto each other, until we heard soft cries come from our room.

We quickly turned the water off and Ryland wrapped a towel around me before wrapping one around his waist. We walked out and saw Ryder scrunching his legs and crying. I walked over and gently picked him up, rocking him softly in my arms until he lulled himself back to sleep. I placed him gently back into his bassinet before getting clothes on.

Ryland reached for me pressing another kiss to my lips.

"I love you." I whispered to him.

"And I love you more. So much more." He teased pinching my side before littering my face with kisses.

——————————————————————

We were outside sitting on the small bench on our porch watching people drinking, dancing and playing games with each other. Fire pits littered the area, I couldn't help the laugh that escaped my mouth at the sight of Lydia hitting Kolton square in the face with a snowball.

Jeremiah sat across from us smiling at the sight as well.

Mom, dad, James and Jake had to go back, since they had been gone from my old pack for weeks. But they all promised to visit as soon as possible. I missed them around already.

Ryland was holding a bundled up sleeping Ryder in his arms while he watched our pack having fun, being care-free for the first time in a while.

"You could hear me." I spoke out of no where to Jeremiah. He tensed but nodded.

"It was almost like an echo, I don't understand why I was the only one who could hear you though." He sighed. "But at least that's over now." He spoke nudging my foot with his. I just nodded in response, smiling at him.

"I'm going to go put him down inside." Ryland whispered to me, pressing a quick kiss on my temple.

"Come on." Jeremiah spoke an evil smile over taking his face. I raised a brow but before I could even react he flung me over his shoulder.

"Put me down!" I yelled at him laughing and pushing at his back.

"Okay." He chuckled evilly. That's when I noticed him walking towards a pile of fluffy snow.

"No!" I laughed holding onto him tighter. But it was no use, he sent me flying into the pile of snow. I decided I needed to get revenge and scare him. I went limp in the snow not moving and closed my eyes.

"Get up, you sore loser." He chuckled nudging my leg with his foot. I was desperately trying not to laugh.

"Octavia?" He questioned. "Hey. Octavia!" He called out, worry lacing his tone. I heard him come closer, that's my cue. I quickly grabbed fistfuls of snow and threw them directly at his face. He froze in shock, snow covering his hair and now falling into his shirt.

"You. Are. Done." He growled lowly and I bolted laughing. I thought I got away when I felt arms grip my waist, but it wasn't Jeremiah I felt sparks erupt through my body. Ryland. I looked into his beautiful green eyes, that were staring at me with a mischievous glint. Oh no. I tried to shimmy out of his grip but it was no use.

"That was evil." He chuckled. "I'm proud." But before I could react he threw me back into the pile of snow. Laughter bubbled throughout me as we continued our snowball fight. Pack members started joining too. Pretty soon most of the pack was shoving snow at whoever they could. White powder flying everywhere, this truly was a sight. I creeped up behind Ryland and dumped as much snow as I could carry into his shirt. He tensed and growled before I got a face full of snow, nearly falling back.

He just chuckled evilly before walking up to me and wiping the snow away, he leaned down and pressed a firm kiss to my lips.

"Break up the lovebirds!" I heard Kolton shout before snow hit us from all angles. We both erupted into fits of laughter before throwing snow at whoever we could.

I couldn't help the goofy smile that took over my face at the sight of everyone getting to be free, to have fun. It was as if a huge wait had been lifted off of everyone's shoulders.We were free, it was over. The war was over and everyone was safe now.

"We are safe now, human." I smiled as her voice rang through my head.

"We did it, Adiralaylie."