Chapter Eighteen

I was currently sitting with Jeremiah on the couch while Ryland was in his office going over meeting details with Kolton. Mom and the rest of the family were going to come visit tomorrow for a day before going home to prepare for the war that was likely on the horizon.

"You scared the shit out of me." Jeremiah spoke quietly breaking the silence. I looked up from my fingers and into his beautiful light blue eyes. His face was swimming with emotion that I never thought I would recognize on his usual hard face.

"What happened?" I asked turning completely on the couch so I was facing him.

"When we were training and you were just laying on the ground shaking... Ry is your mate but Kolton and I as his second and third feel a need to protect you, always. You're our Luna... I'm doing a shit job explaining this, but in that moment I felt helpless especially when that barrier went around you and none of us knew what to do." I felt my eyes water slightly. I pushed myself over and pulled him into a hug. He tensed before wrapping his arms around my waist.

"I will always protect you guys too, u know." I told him pulling away. He just smiled before turning his attention to the doorframe. I looked over too, to see Ryland and Kolton standing there.

"Ry, did he actually smile? I didn't know he could do that." Kolton whispered loudly at my smirking mate. Jeremiah rolled his eyes as his face settled back to being expressionless. We both stood up and I walked into Ryland's arms.

"We need to go talk with the half shifters' leader. I want you there." Ryland spoke staring deeply into my eyes. "I also want you armed."

"They aren't going to attack. I trust them." I told him giving him a look. "If I bring weapons they may get the wrong idea."

Ryland returned the look before taking my hand and heading towards the door. Jeremiah and Kolton following close behind us. As we were walking Ryland pulled a dagger out from his waistband before quickly pushing it into one of the sheaths in my leggings.

"Ry—" he quickly cut me off growling, "Just keep it for my sanity."

We walked through the snow covered clearing in front of the house, making our way towards where majority of the half shifters set up camp. Although, they were given permission to use the pack house, majority of them refused. Rylands hand tightened around mine as we walked past several tents that have been set up.

"Hello Alpha, Luna." The man from yesterdays encounter spoke bowing his head slightly.

"We need to discuss the threat to both of our people." Ryland gestured towards a larger encampment they created with tables covered in maps.

We all walked over and stood around the table. Ryland and their leader spoke back and forth and I was having a lot of trouble focusing on anything. Jeremiah seemed to notice from next to me because every now and then I would get elbowed and his foot would get kicked.

Someone is watching. She muttered.

Where? I asked her before slowly turning my head to gather my surroundings.

Border of the woods. Go. Now. She snapped.

I slowly took a step back before quietly excusing myself. Ryland gave me a look before Jeremiah stepped back and began following me.

"Do I even want to know?" He asked. I just continued searching the area for any threats. That's when I saw it.

Oh goddess.

I began sprinting with Jeremiah on my trail. There was a hooded man dragging two unconscious half shifter children through the woods. The man was sprinting, dragging the children behind him. I needed to shift. I felt myself switch to my subconscious as I began moving faster.