Chapter 59~ Funeral

I let out a sigh as I tired back my hair into two dutch braids. I walked over to the small mirror I had in the room, and took in my appearance. I was bruised basically everywhere, my once tan skin now more purple and green then ordinarily. Scars and scratches littered my body, but what stood out the most was the mark that was imprinted on my neck. I looked to the side to see Sakura sleeping, curled up in blankets and Karliah.

I took some black garments from my closet and entered the bathroom. I quickly changed into some black joggers and a black cropped sweatshirt, making sure the top covered my neck well. Just to ensure my mark wasn't on display I added a choker to hide it away. I slipped on some combat boots, and slid a kunai inside them just in case.

I continued to wash my face, my eyes dancing over the slight bags under my eyes and guilt was already flooding into my consciousness.

'Today's the day we go to the Hokage's funeral. The one that I couldn't protect.'

"Yo, what's up shorty." I turned to see Arrow in all his glory. I rolled my eyes as I didn't reply to his greeting. "Kakashi told us what happened you know?"

"What of it, you probably think I'm useless as well." I sighed, feeling somewhat hurt that Rin would think of me in that manner. Arrow let out a chuckle as he sat in the bathroom doorway. "Don't patronize me, I know whatever-"

"Quite the contrary is what I think." He said, which put me into a state of confusion. "I think that what you were able to do, and the amount of willpower it took to achieve what you did is admirable. You went in assessed the situation, thought of the most strategic plan, and discarded it. For you, that is no easy fear Miss I-Have-To-Calculate-Everything-Beforehand. You did what you thought was right, not what the best plan would be. You were willing to lay down what you like for this place. You made my respect for you grow, you finally understand how to lead with your heart for once. That Shorty is what being a shinobi is about."

I was rendered speechless as words flowed from his mouth. The number of complete ideas Arrow just exerted was shocking. "Now I must go wake Rinny Boy before he forgets about today's agenda."

"Could you wake Sakura why your at it, I have a few things I need to do before the ceremony?" I muttered, Arrow looked back, a content smile sat upon his face. "Of course Princess."

"I take back everything I had said, I beg of you not to use manners. They sound foul coming from your mouth." I said, looking from Arrow to Midnight that was leaned up against the wall. I shook my head and made my way to the front door, avoiding Rin who was passed out in front of the couch. "Ehh whatever, I ain't your guardian shorty."

"If Karliah asks, tell her I went to think." I walked out the door, not paying the inside any more mind. I shut the door behind me, taking in a deep breath of the outside air. It was soothing and calm, trace amounts of something sweet seemed to fill the air. The streets were empty, not a single soup seemed to be out yet. Looking up I saw the crescent moon barely visible as it began to set, and dark clouds seemed to be looming over the village.

"I estimate an eighty-six percent chance of rain today," I whispered to myself as I continued to walk down the empty streets. The walk was silent, the white noise of crickets and other animals was all that was heard. I eventually reached an all too familiar training area. I perched myself up in a tree as I closed my eyes. I let my senses be nulled as I focused on my thoughts.

'Should I continue here in the leaf?'

This was the one thought that had been on my mind. I made up many excused to leave for myself. The village would be safer without the constant threat of Orochimaru. No one would have to worry about a monster living among them. But for some strange reason, I also found myself making up reasons to stay. I would be abandoning everyone I have found myself caring about. I would leave them unprotected if I did leave.

My inner conflict seemed to go on for a long time. By the time I had reopened my eyes, I could see the sun was rising. I let out a breath as I jumped from the tree, landing on my feet I brushed myself off and headed in the direction of the tower. Along the way, I stopped at the spot Sakura had briefly told me about yesterday.

"Oh, Kritanta-San, I'm glad you made it. Arrow informed us that you left early this morning." Sakura smiled, but I could easily tell she was hiding her grief. I nodded slowly, not bothering to correct her formal title. Uchiha was leaned up against the picket fence his eyes trained upon us. "Are we just waiting for Naruto?"

"Yes, it seems he is late." Sakura answered her smile falling from her face. We waited around for a few moments before Naruto came running towards us. "Sorry I am late! I woke up late."

He's lying.

Yet, I found myself biting my tongue, not saying a word as we all made our way to the funeral. It was being held at the Hokage tower, we were told to stand in the roof along with many others. They all seemed to be of ninja status. Looking off the side I could see many citizens of the village all crowding around the tower. It was like looking out into a sea of black. Like I had predicted earlier, ran fell, not hard but at a steady rhythm. I was standing next to Konohamaru and Naruto, the village elders were right up near all the pictures of those who had fallen.

"We are gathered here today to not only honor the third Hokage but ll those who have lost their lives protecting the village." The elderly man continued to speak as one by one people placed white flowers onto Sarutobi's casket. I watched as another flower was placed. The sound of crying filled my ears as I turned to see Konohamaru weeping. He covered his eyes with his hands as he continued to cry. I let out a breath before crouching down and pulling him into my chest. He clutched onto my sweatshirt, his sobs being muffled by the thick material. "It's okay to cry Konohamaru, someone close to me said that it's okay to feel. Humans feel things, and when you're able to cry about them, it reminds you that your human."

He didn't answer just continued sobbing into my chest. I held him close, allowing all his sobs to escape him. I noticed that Kakashi and Iruka were both eyeing the two of us, even Naruto seemed to be intrigued by the sight before him.