Would You Like To Dance?

Gavin had never been one for dancing. Though, occasionally, when he'd get mad, he would. If he wasn't in the mood for violence, then he'd simply dance. It was something he was embarrassed about.

He put on some headphones and he pressed play to the music.

He remembered taking ballet when he was young. His father used to hire someone to teach him. As a young Prince, there were many skills he had to know.

Sword fighting, ballet, etiquette lessons, violin lessons, horse riding lessons.. The list goes on..

Although he was now 32 years of age, he remembered his very first lesson.

A four year old boy hid shyly behind his father. He looked up at the tall man.

"This is his highness?"

"Yes. Say hello Gavin." His father had said.

"Hello Gavin.."

The man smiled a tight smile. "Let's get started, shall we?"

Gavin stood on his tip toes. He'd have to start over the whole song if his heels touched the ground. He gracefully lifted his leg up and spun around, landing on the ball of his foot again. He smiled softly, knowing that his body hadn't forgotten the movement.

As he continued softly dancing to the music, his mind drifted to one of his ballroom dancing lessons.

He was 6 years old now.

"Left foot, turn. Right foot back." the lady said firmly.

Gavin couldn't keep track of the music. He kept stumbling and tripping.

"You highness, do you think your other son would be better at dancing than this one?"

The Captain sighed and stood up. He walked over to his oldest son and smiled softly at him.

"My oldest son is currently having a nap with his mother."

The lady sighed. "Do you wish to sit back down?" she rolled her eyes and looked at the green eyed boy. "Don't drop your posture!"

Gavin teared up and kept trying to dance. It was fairly hard. His arms shook while his legs and feet moved separately.

The lady sighed. "May I speak with you outside, your highness?"

Tears pricked at Gavins eyes as he tried to ignore the memory.

"I don't think he will ever be a good dancer. You were far more easier to learn."

"He's 6 years old, Madam."

"And you were 4 when I taught you."

He heard his father sigh. "Madam, when you plant a flower and it doesn't grow, what do you do?"

"You water it and feed it."

"Exactly. Gavin is the flower. He needs water, which is you helping him softly. And he needs feeding, which is you encouraging him to grow. You wouldn't expect a flower to grow without the essentials, would you?"

Silence.

"I'll dance with him."

The lady glared. "You can't dance with him! He has to learn for himself!"

But the Captain had already walked in.

The song changed and Gavin lifted his arms, re-enacting the dance with his father.

"Now Gavin." he heard him say, his voice as clear as ever. "Just focus on me."

The 6 year old wiped his tears and held onto his father. The height difference was hard to work with but they managed.

Gavin teared up, closing his eyes. He imagined he was dancing with his father now. There were so many things he wanted to say to him.

But he didn't.

He moved his feet forward, then to the side. Then spin and step back.

He loved his father. He'd always have a way of knowing when Gavin was left out of things.

"Come along now, Johnathan." their mother called. She was sitting on the sofa.

The Captain lifted the small boy up. He wrapped his arms around his wife and son.

Gavin ran in and looked at them.

"Father look!" he cried out happily. He lifted his arms and proceeded to do the spin and land he had learnt.

"Well done Gavin." He smiled.

"Johnathan is about to say his first word." His mother said in an excited tone.

Gavins smile fell. He felt as though he'd been replaced.

He slowly walked out of the room, only to be picked up by a pair of strong hands. They lifted him high into the air and gently swung him around.

He laughed loudly, turning and hugging his father. 

They walked back over and sat together as a family.

Gavin suddenly felt anger build up inside of him. He felt a hurt and a rage inside of him.

People had ignored him after his father's death. Once in his way home from school, he and his siblings got harassed by the press. Gavin being the oldest, saw it as his job to protect his siblings.

And he did. He broke the pressed cameras and ran home with his siblings.

Gosh had his mother yelled at him.

He began to dance in a more aggressive way. With quick sharp movements, some violent but other fast. 

He slowly stopped, taking a final bow. He moved his headphones off and let them hang on his neck.

He heard clapping from behind him.

"Father?" He spun around, only to see a red eyed figure.

"I'm not your father, but you can call me daddy if you want?"

Gavin cringed. "No thanks. I'll stick to your name Jimmy."

"You seem quite good at dancing. Care to show me?"

Gavin took out his headphones and allowed the music to play loudly. He placed his headphones down and held out his hand to Jimmy.

"May I have this dance, then?"

Hello.

I hope you enjoyed the one shot.

I will see you next time.

Bye my lovely bird people.

-Guargent