We Will Remember Them

(This is another fanfic and a song fic that honours the people who fought in the army, air force and navy. This is a song by James Blunt called 'Monsters' that was played at the Remembrance day festival and honestly made me cry. So.. Here it is..)

It had been a while since he'd been in Britain. He adjusted the poppy on his coat and opened the gate to the church. The man walked the footpath his father's coffin had followed on the day of his funeral.

"Oh, before they turn off the lights," Gavin muttered, wrapping the scarf tighter around his neck. "I won't read your wrongs or your rights,"

He scanned the gravestones, looking for the one he knew. "The time has gone, I'll tell you goodnight, close the door.. Tell you 'I love you' once more,"

He placed the flowers at the gravestone for his father. He could just about read the 'Captain.... Toast..'

"The time has gone, so here it is.." his green eyes teared up and it wasn't long before they fell down his cold cheeks. "I'm not your son, you're not my father.."

His voice began to crack as he stared at the grave, knowing his father was under there with a bullet wound to his head and chest. "We're just two grown men saying goodbye.. No need to forgive, no need to forget," his cold fingertips moved away his tears, wishing his father was beside him now. "I know your mistakes and you know mine," He sniffed, remembering who he was, a criminal. He'd never be a captain like his father. "and while you're sleeping, I'll try to make you proud," he fell to his knees, the cold, wet grass going through his jeans. He couldn't hold it in much longer. He leaned forward and hugged the gravestone as if it was his father. "So daddy, won't you just close your eyes?" he breathed unevenly, sobbing his pain out. "Don't be afraid, it's my turn," he slowly moved back, tears running down his face and heart again. He ran his hand along the words 'loving father'. "To chase the monsters away.."

He slowly walked into his mother and father's old room. It was left exactly like it was before he died. His clothes hanging up, his bed neatly made for when he got back. His notebook left open.

"Oh, well I'll read you a story," he slowly and carefully picked up the notebook and flicked through it. "Only difference is this one is true," he smiled softly, sniffing at the notes. He ran his hand over the handwriting, wishing he'd see it more frequently. He placed it back down on the desk and looked over at his clothes. "The time has gone,"

He put the hat on his head and smiled at himself in the dusty mirror. His eyes noticed a small picture beside his bed. He picked it up and smiled. It was a picture of him when he was younger, wearing the exact same hat. He took it off and smiled at it.  "I folded your clothes on the chair.."

He put the hat on the pillow. He hesitated before leaning down and smelling it, smiling sadly at his father's smell. He missed him.

"I hope you sleep well, don't be scared," He stroked the pillow as if his father was there with him. "The time has gone, so here it is.."

He remembered back when he was younger. A faint image of seeing his father placing the poppy's on the memorial for the fallen soldiers. He remembered watching him salute, to which he copied. After all, he wanted to be like his father.

"I'm not your son, you're not my father.." He sat down on the chair and sniffed. "We're just two grown men saying goodbye.."

He thought about what he would say to his father now. What would he say? Thank you? I love you? I miss you? You inspire me father?

"No need to forgive, no need to forget.." He wiped his eyes with a tissue. "I know your mistakes and you know mine." He picked up a photo and smiled sadly at his father's face. He missed this smile. "And while you're sleeping, I'll try to make you proud.."

He stood up and looked around the room one last time. "So daddy, won't you just close your eyes," He breathed in, standing tall. "Don't be afraid, my turn, to chase the monsters away.."

He slowly walked out of the room and shut the door. Making his way to his final destination.

The main memorial.

He approached it alone. "Sleep a lifetime, yes, and breathe a last word.." He placed the poppy on the step and moved back, saluting to all the names engraved onto it.

He felt a cold sensation on his hand that was beside him. "You can feel my hand on your own," he smiled a bit, knowing his father was watching him. "I will be the last one so I'll leave the light on," he lowered his hand. "let there be no darkness in your heart,"

He stared at the memorial for a two minute silence to remember not just his father, but all the other soldiers and people who had given their lives for the country. He was very thankful for them. He silently mouthed a 'thank you' before turning and going back to his car where Jimmy was waiting.

He got in and sniffed. "I'm not your son.. You're not my father.." He looked out of the window as they drove back to the graveyard. "We're just two grown men saying goodbye,"

He got out into the rain again and approached the gravestone. His green eyes saw two figures. Father? Mother? No.

They turned and looked at him, smiling sadly.

"No need to forgive, no need to forget," one foot at a time, he ran over to his younger siblings, embracing them in a tight hug. "I know your mistakes, and you know mine,"

They held him tighter, all very close to tears. All three children standing at the grave, together again.

"And while you're sleeping, I'll try to make you proud, so daddy, won't you just close your eyes, don't be afraid, it's my turn, to chase the monsters away.."

****

Lest we forget..

This is for the Remembrance day. We will remember them.

I'm not going to lie, I did cry while writing this.

Look up the song as or after you read this though, it really sets the feeling..

Thank you..

I will see you next time.

Bye my lovely bird people.

-Guargent