Chapter 37

(Your P.O.V.)

     After trying on the swim dress, I immediately changed back into my clothes, feeling content that I found the right style. Exiting the fitting room and scanning my surroundings, I finally found the mercenaries as they were already done picking out their swimming gear.

     "Hey guys! Got everything you need?"

     Seeing that the RED teammates didn't respond back, I noticed that something was off about them. Instead of looking excited, they all appeared to be filled with dread.

     "Um guys?" I became quite concerned. "Is something wrong?"

     "Honeybee," Dell gently placed his hands on my shoulders, holding me in place as his emerald eyes laid on mine, "do ya remember when mah invention failed to activate?"

     I suddenly had a flashback of that particular day when the mercenaries held a meeting at home. Since that unexpected attack from a hooded individual, the men originally thought of going back to their world to gather ammo and other supplies. But to no avail, the Texan's invention wouldn't open up.

     "Yes. Why?"

     "Ah don't know how to tell ya this, but..." He paused for a while. "...The BLU's might be here."

     "What?" I stood there, shocked. "How is that possible?"

     "They must've discovered Engie's machine and entered your world, Cupcake." Soldier explained. "You know that sales clerk, right? He's wearing a blue shirt and has a Bostonian accent just like Scout. So it pretty much confirms that."

     My (E/C) eyes widened at that point. Indeed, the gruff American wasn't wrong when he described that particular young store employee. Now that I thought about it again, the young man did sound a lot like our RED Scout.

     "So if it's true that the BLU's are here, does that mean..."

     "Oui." Laurent answered with a worried expression. "And zhey might be keeping their eyes on you, I'm afraid."

     "If that is the case, then we have to get going!"

     All of the mercenaries nodded in agreement as we hurriedly headed over to the cash register. Once we got there, I noticed another employee who happened to be working on something at a back counter, unaware that we were nearby.

     "Excuse me, sir." I waved my hand. "We're ready to pay."

     The man turned around to see us at a front desk. He appeared to be somewhere in his early forties, cleanly shaven and broad shouldered. Aside from that, he seemed to be kinda short. Well, not shorter than me, for he stood at around an average height. However, that wasn't important. What really caught my attention was that he was wearing a crisp, blue polo shirt just like the other employee a while ago. Gazing at me, he gave a soft smile.

     "Howdy there." He greeted while winking at me with his forest green eye. "How are ya doin', sweetheart?~"

     Hold on! Did he just call me "sweetheart"? And was that a southern accent? I had to be dreaming, but alas, it was real. At this point, I didn't notice that Dell, standing next to me, was curling his mouth into a frown after hearing what the employee just said right in front of him and the others.

     "Excuse me, sir." A serious look was present on the Texan's face. "Are ya tryin' to flirt with mah darlin'?"

     "Your darlin'?" The man let out a chuckle as he scanned our items at the cash register. "She looks very cute. Too cute to be goin' out with a farmer boy like ya!"