Chapter 76

Around the corner, a group of three boys, somewhere between ages of eight and ten, surrounded a little blonde girl in a wheelchair. From what we were seeing, those kids appeared to be holding up a stuffed animal toy beyond her reach. With tears streaming down her face, the poor girl desperately begged them to give it back; but alas, the bullies continued mocking their victim, lifting the toy so high that her bandaged leg would prevent her from reaching it.

     "Hey! Give it back!" The girl cried. "It's mine! My brother gave it to me!"

     "Then come and get it, little missy!" The oldest bully jeered while the others guffawed, still gripping a toy in hand. "Besides, I wanted to get back at your brother for beating me at some game in school. But here you are, wandering around helplessly in that wheelchair! Shouldn't you be at the hospital where weaklings belong?"

     "I didn't wander by myself!" She explained while sobbing. "My doctor actually brought me here!"

     "Oh? And where is he now?" One of the other boys questioned. "I bet he left and decided not to come back for you!"

     "That's not true! He will come back! Now give me back my toy!"

     Poor girl, and how dare those kids! Where were those boys' parents? I knew I had to do something until Medic immediately stood up from his seat without a word, heading towards the bullies. Right away, I left the patio table to follow the German from behind, wondering what plan he had in mind. During this, our pet birds took flight to perch on a branch of some nearby tree, just close enough to watch the kids who were about to face their worst nightmare.

     "Hey, jou zhree!" Medic bellowed, garnering attention from the boys. "Vhat are jou kids doing?! Zhat poor girl doesn't deserve zhis!"

     "Hey! Mind your own business, old man!" The eldest one acted impolitely. "We're poking fun at weaklings like her!"

     "Poking fun? Vell, in my medical opinions, jou kids better conzider getting a new hobby! Or I vill be "poking" fun at jou all vith zhis!"

     He tugged a coat lapel sideways, revealing something shiny. Realizing what it was, the bullies gulped in fear, slowly backing away from him. Noticing their pale reactions, the support mercenary let out nothing but a chuckle.

     "Vhat's the matter?" Medic asked while brandishing his handy tool for them to see. "Afraid of needles?"

     "He's a crazy doctor!" The youngest of the bullies exclaimed. "Run for your lives!"

     The boys suddenly screamed in terror and ran away from the German, not wishing to feel cold, sharp metal piercing through their skin. Aside from that, one of them dropped something and left it behind. Now that I witnessed everything, I thought the support teammate went a little too far; but then again, he was just Medic. Sheathing that syringe back into his pocket, the mercenary walked over to pick up what resembled some sort of dove plushie. He then turned around to check on the girl who got somewhat scared by his actions earlier.

     "Oh um...little girl?" Medic spoke in a calm voice, kneeling down to her level while holding up a stuffed toy. "Does zhis belong to jou?"

     "Y-Yes. Thank you, s-sir." The blue-eyed girl stumbled a bit on her words as she accepted her precious possession from his hands, eventually gaining composure. "Thanks for helping me get my Archimedes plush back."

     "Archimedes? Vait a second..." The German raised an eyebrow, trying to make sure he wasn't imagining things. "Did jou zay Archimedes?"

     "Yep!" She nodded. "He's from a game called Team Fortress 2! My brother loves to play that a lot, and his favorite character is Medic!"