Chapter 36

~~~Timeskip by Tiny Desk Engineer~~~

     It was already past noon when we were driving along the crowded streets and passing by huge buildings, eventually arriving in the downtown area of (city name). It had been around half an hour since we left home, but we were caught up in heavy traffic. This, however, was pretty much expected since it would usually get this busy during the summer, especially with tourists flocking around on their vacation time. As we headed to our destination, I had the radio on, listening to some music as the mercenaries were talking about how excited they were for the beach day.

     "I can't wait for tomorrow!" The Bostonian took off his baseball cap as he spoke. "I wanna try ridin' the waves!"

     Within a few seconds, Scout heard nothing but stifled giggles coming from his teammates. He had no idea why they reacted that way.

     "Hey! What's so funny, guys?" The young mercenary questioned.

     "I bet jou vould fail and drown in the vater!"  The German doctor jeered.

     "What makes ya say that?"

     "Don't ya remember, ankle-biter?" An Aussie assassin smirked. "When we blokes took a dip in the lake during ceasefoire day, truckie brought soime water skis he built but never got to test. Ya volunteered yourself, saying ya wanna try it. But as ya took it on a run, ya lost your balance and hit the waters, screamin' for help since ya can't even swim!"

     At that last bit, a roar of laughter erupted from the rest of the RED team. Having a flashback of that particular incident, the Bostonian curled his mouth into a frown.

     "Aw come on, ya guys! If ya didn't make fatcakes drive a motor boat," Scout pointed at Heavy, "I wouldn't mess it up!"

     "Watch what you're saying, leetle man. You forgot that Heavy has license to drive boat." The Russian shook his head and turned to the rest of his friends. "Real truth is...leetle man's skills suck."

     The men, minus the Bostonian, once again guffawed as I drove into the shopping district. After going through all that traffic and bustle, I took a left turn from the intersection, arriving at a parking lot designated for a particular store.

     "Here we are, guys!" I turned off the ignition before getting out of the car.

     The mercenaries exited from the vehicle and took a glance at the place. Standing before them was a huge swim shop that had display windows beside the double doors. Through the glass, they glanced at some mannequins that were lined up in view, wearing various kinds of swimwear from colorful bikinis to drawstring shorts, and carrying supplies and accessories like goggles and inner tubes. As I led them inside, small gasps escaped from their mouths as they were astonished to see a huge collection of beachwear choices they could get, including styles they had never seen before. Well then again, the setting of their game took place in the sixties, so it wasn't very surprising to see them react to all the modern trendy swimwear like that.

     "Oh boy! Time to find some swimming shorts!" The blue-eyed Bostonian excitedly went into the men's section.

     "Scout! Wait up!" Soldier went after him.

     As the rest of the RED team scattered around to explore the shop, I started off on the other side where the ladies' section was located. Browsing at all kinds of two piece sets and bathing suits, I checked each hanger for one that was very suitable to my taste. While I really found present-style beachwear very cute, I didn't want to wearing something that would show too much of my skin. Digging through all bandeaux and halter necks, I finally pulled out the one that looked just my size, a shimmering, (F/C) floral swim dress that had adjustable straps and measured to at least eight inches above the knee. Just as I was about to try it in a fitting room, a random voice caught my attention.

     "I think you'll look good in that, cutie~"

     "Huh?"

     I turned around to find a young man standing behind me. He looked like somewhere in his late twenties and wore a blue t-shirt, a cap, and a pair of black shorts. He even sported slim dark sunglasses that it was difficult to see his eyes. Aside from that, he just spoke to me with a distinctive accent, but I couldn't figure what it was. He gave a small smile as he took a step forward.

     "I actually work here. Do ya need help in anythin', babe?~" He leaned on his shoulder against a wall.

     "Well umm...I just want to know where the fitting rooms are."

(Third Person P.O.V.)

     At this point, (Y/N) was unaware that a few mercenaries were watching them from at least fifteen feet away. Sniper and Demoman had already selected their swimming gear when they noticed a sales clerk chatting with her. Observing his actions, both of the RED teammates grew very suspicious of the young man.

     "Whit is that pint-sized mutt doin' with lassie?" The Scotsman furrowed his brows.

     "No clue, mate." The Aussie frowned, keeping his gray-blue eyes on the sales clerk as well. "That bloke better not hit on sheila."

     As the men continued watching like a hawk, the young employee led (Y/N) across the shop, showing the curtained stalls lined up on one wall. Thanking him, the girl entered in one of the vacant rooms, proceeding to try on the new swim dress. Just as she closed a curtain, the sales clerk headed over to where the mercenaries were standing, checking on them.

     "Hello. May I help ya two with anythin'?" He asked.

     "No thanks, mate." Sniper answered, feeling uncomfortable around his presence. "Just making sure you won't do anythoing to moi sheila."

     "Oh? Is she your girlfriend? She looks very hot." The young man smirked. "I wonder why she would pick someone who looks like he lives in a campervan."

     "Excuse me?" The assassin acted aggressively.

     "N-Nothin'!" The sales clerk blurted out quickly in fear. "Well anyways, enjoy the rest of your shoppin'!"

     And just like that, the blue shirt-cladded man walked away, leaving a furious look on the Aussie's face. As Sniper clenched his teeth, feeling offended by the employee's comment, a gentle hand rested on his shoulder.

     "Don't fret, lad." Demoman assured his friend. "Just don't listen tae him."

     "You're roight, mate." Sniper let out a sigh, calming himself down. "Let's hope we don't see that little posey again."

     In just a few seconds, the rest of the RED teammates showed up to them, carrying their swimming trunks and gear. They also looked very worried as well.

     "We heard what that dummy said, pardner." Engie spoke. "And to be honest, he seems suspicious."

     "You mates noticed how that bloody wanker acted around (Y/N)?"

     "Oui, but zhat's not all, bushman." Spy frowned. "He looked...awfully familiar."

     "Huh? How so, mate?"

     "Ya noticed his accent, right pal?" Scout questioned.

     "Yep, ankle-biter." Sniper remembered the sales clerk's voice. "Now that Oi thoink about it, he somewhat sounded loike you."

     "Exactly! I figured he's a Bostonian!" The young mercenary exclaimed. "Just like me and my BLU rival!"

     "Wait a second!" The unmasked fire teammate interrupted. "Engie, remember how your invention failed to work the other day?"

     "Ah remember that." The Texan nodded to his best friend. "Why, Pyro?"

     "Try to piece them together! Machine stopped working. Sales clerk wearing a blue shirt and sounding similarly like Scout! Do you think they..."

     The rest of the mercenaries suddenly went pale, hearing what Pyro just stated. As realization hit them, they couldn't help but to think that their beautiful (Y/N) was now in grave danger.

     "OH S**T!"