Chapter 14

Song "Someone You Loved" belongs to Lewis Capaldi

(Your P.O.V.) 

     It was around three in the afternoon when the mercenaries and I finally got out of the mall. Each of us were carrying bags full of new clothes and other goodies as we managed to reach the car in the parking lot. Just as we packed everything into the trunk and got ourselves seated, I turned on the ignition and headed for the exit. During the drive, the mercenaries in the back row were fooling around with action figures and plushies, except for Demoman who was taking a nap. The others in the middle row were just relaxing, viewing the busy life in the streets through the windows. Engie, who was sitting next to me, was curiously looking at a touchscreen radio.

     "Say darlin'," the emerald-eyed Texan pointed to the advanced technology before me, "how do ya play music on this?"

     "I'll show you."

     Making a full stop at the red light, I tapped a few buttons on the radio, selecting one of the music stations listed there. Observing, Engie noticed the song title that just popped up in the screen.

     "Someone You Loved?" The Texan read the bright, bold letters.

     "Yep." I nodded. "A beautiful but sad song. One of my favorites."

     A soft piano melody was heard from the car speakers as the traffic light turned green. All of the mercenaries stopped what they were doing, and listened as I drove along the crowded streets in downtown.

    I'm going under and this time I fear
     there's no one to save me...

     Hearing the first lyrics of the song, the men started to lose themselves in the music. 

     This all or nothing really got a way of
     driving me crazy...

     Unbeknownst to me, Engie was looking at me as I kept my eyes on the road with one hand on the steering wheel and the other on my side.

     I need somebody to heal
     Somebody to know
     Somebody to have
     Somebody to hold...

     Realizing the meaning behind the song, the Texan couldn't help but to remember the story of my past love life; while feeling sad about it, he slowly move his hand to mine. At that sudden contact, my cheeks developed a tinge of pink as I noticed Engie's hand resting on mine.

     It's easy to say
     But it's never the same
     I guess I kinda liked the way you
     numbed all the pain...

     As I focused on the drive with the Texan still holding my hand, some of the other mercenaries couldn't hold back their tears from the song.

     Now the day bleeds
     Into nightfall
     And you're not here
     To get me through it all
     I let my guard down
     And then you pulled the rug
     I was getting kinda used to being
     someone you loved...

~~~Five minutes later~~~

     "Oh god...is someone choppin' onions?" The Bostonian was shedding some tears after the song ended.

     "Ahhhh!!! This song is so beautiful I can't take it anymore!" The loud American looked around. "Can one of ya lend me a handkerchief? This man's going to bawl his eyes out in any second!" 

     Instead of what Soldier just asked for, all he received was a random medkit thrown right at his face.

     "Here's a remedy for zhat!" The German doctor joked.