Chapter 20

Soldier carried me all the way back to the picnic area as we rejoined the rest of the team; but then, I realized something. Spy wasn't found yet, and Scout was searching around the entire park for him. After a couple of minutes, the young mercenary returned, panting and sweating from all the running he did.

     "Yo Soldier!" Scout was catching his breath. "I couldn't find Spy anywhere! He didn't turn invisible, did he?"

     "I don't think so." Soldier gently let me down. "He even took off his watch, and it's still placed on our picnic table. Did you check the bushes and rocks?"

     "I looked at every spot where Spy could fit! But he's nowhere to be found!" The Bostonian wiped away the sweat beads forming on his forehead. "Even the rest of our teammates have no idea where he is!"

     As Soldier and Scout were talking, the other mercenaries attempted to look for the Frenchman. Engie and Medic searched through the flowery bushes. Heavy shouted Spy's name. Sniper climbed up a tree to get a better view of the entire park layout. Demoman, still drunk, charged around the field and at every corner. And Pyro was searching near the river. That sly Spy. Where was he hiding? My thoughts were interrupted when one of the teammates screamed.

     "MRPH MRPH MRRRRPH!" The masked man freaked out and flailed his arms, attracting everyone's attention.

     "Pyro! What's wrong?" I immediately went to check on him, only to find something clinging to his head; but the fire mercenary kept panicking wildly that I couldn't get a better look at it. "Wait! Hold still, please!"

     Hearing my words, Pyro managed to calm down and lowered his head for me to inspect it. On top of his mask was a small crustacean that appeared to be red with pincers and pairs of legs. However, a couple of weird things that caught my attention were a beige color around its black eyes, making its face resemble some sort of mask, and a cigarette in its mouth--Hold on! A crab with a cigarette?! That looked way too familiar!

     "What the? A crab?" Scout scratched his head. "Aren't we in a park? This lil' fella's supposed to be at a beach, right?"

     "True, pardner." Engie nodded. "But what is it doin' here? And why is it...smokin'?"

     "I know why." I grinned.

     "Really?" Sniper raised an eyebrow. "Why is that, sheila?"

     "Watch this."

     "Wait, sheila! It moight pinch you!"

     Despite the Aussie's warning, I gently lifted the crab with my own bare hands from Pyro's head, and held it to my level. Resting on my palms, the red creature blinked at me with its beady eyes. All of the men were amazed on how the crustacean didn't even try to pinch me or something. Instead, the little critter raised its pincers and gently placed them on both sides of my face. At first, I was confused on what it was doing; but then I got the message when the adorable crustacean gave me a loving look. Without hesitation, I placed a soft kiss on top of its shell. Suddenly, the crab disappeared in a puff of smoke, only to be emerging out as a familiarly tall, slender figure.

     "Mon amour~" The Frenchman kissed my cheek, making me blush. "You managed to break the spell~"

     "What the hell, you crouton?!" Soldier yelled. "We've been looking for you everywhere!"

     "Vell, you sluggish simpleton." Spy threw away his cigarette. "In case you didn't realize, there vas a loophole in vhat you said before the game started."

     "What do you mean?" The gruff American frowned.

     "Remember vhen you made a rule for me to avoid cheating in hide-and-seek? Indeed, you ordered me not to turn invisible. But however, you never mentioned that I couldn't disguise myself!" Spy guffawed as his waved his handy kit in front of Soldier's face.