Chapter 15

My hands were trembling as I read the terrifying message. I didn't know how to respond to this. In the background, the mercenaries continued arguing about the cherry situation until one of them noticed a changed expression on my face and a phone in my hand. 

     "(Y/N)?" The concerned Aussie walked over to my side. "What's the matter, sheila?"

     I handed over my phone for Sniper to have a look. Underneath his orange-tinted aviators, his blue-gray orbs widened before he motioned his teammates to come over. The men gathered around as their eyes were glued to the small screen. That small, chilling message sent to me got all of them triggered.

     "What?" The angry Russian cracked his knuckles. "Is that your ex, leetle (Y/N)?"

     When I nodded in response, Spy became more worried about my safety. Ever since I shared to him about my past violent relationship, he would make sure not to let my former lover get close to me. Not even a single inch.

     "Ma chérie," Spy pointed at my phone, "may I respond to zhis message for you?"

     Curious about what the Frenchman was going to do, I gave him permission to text. As he was getting used to a touchscreen keyboard on the slim device, Spy took his time composing a message for the recipient. I looked over to see what he typed.

     "Excuse me, but (Y/N) is very busy at this moment. Please leave her alone."

     Spy tapped on the send button as soon as he finished typing. We waited for a while, wondering how Cameron was going to respond. In just a matter of seconds, my smartphone buzzed in the Frenchman's gloved hands. Indeed, a new message showed up.

     "What the hell? Who is this? Are you that guy with my (Y/N) when I bumped into her in the mall? Why do you have her phone?!!"

     I was getting sick of this. Cameron still claiming me as his? Aw come on. He didn't treat me well back then until I immediately broke up with him. It was pretty obvious that he sounded infuriated, mainly because he only wanted to talk to me and not Spy. Ugh! No way he was gonna get me back! Noting how irritated I was, Sniper gently pulled me into his protective embrace, stroking my hair.

     "Don't worry, lil' roo." The Aussie whispered in my ear. "We'll make sure tha' bloody wanker doesn't botha' ya, again. Alroight?" 

     As Sniper was comforting me, Spy gave me a sad look. He couldn't believe what kind of sick guy would try to find me after everything he had done. This made him want to hunt down Cameron one day and make sure that he would disappear from my life forever. Realizing that my ex was still waiting for his reply, the French mercenary typed down and sent his answer.

     "Your (Y/N)? She's no longer yours! In fact, you were never a true gentleman to her! She already had enough and moved on! Lay a finger on my lady and you will regret it!"

     Another message from Cameron popped up on the small screen.

     "Haha are you threatening me? Well so be it! Eventually, I'll win (Y/N) back! You'll see it someday! I'm going to prove to her that I changed a lot for the better! Every moment you spend with her won't last! I can guarantee you that! Talk to you later!"

     With that being said, Cameron finally stopped texting my phone. Everything he mentioned at the end of the conversation was a lie. No way that he would be able to go through all nine mercenaries just to earn my love. I mean, how could he possibly face them with weapons combined while he was definitely unarmed? As I was still in Sniper's soothing embrace, the men began to discuss about my ex's messages.

     "What the freakin' hell is his problem?!" Scout was upset about Cameron's words.

     "Ja! Vhat is zhat dummkopf trying to prove?" The German doctor wondered.

     "Ah'm not sure, fellas." Engie felt worried. "But whateva' it is, that dummy is up to no good." 

     "Indeed." Spy agreed as he looked at everyone else. "Gentlemen, ve must do vhatever it takes to keep zhat imbecile away from (Y/N). Ve are still not sure about his plans, but ve need to be ready for anyzhing. Understood?"

     All of the mercenaries nodded. Honestly, I really couldn't thank Spy and his teammates enough, for I always felt happy and safe around them. Without even thinking, I jumped off my seat and hugged Spy in front of his friends. Blushing at the sudden contact, the Frenchman gave me a soft smile and enveloped me in his arms. The rest of the mercenaries joined in and formed a group hug.

     "Thank you guys...for everything." I smiled at my favorite video game characters.

     "Anyzhing for you, ma chérie."

~~~One hour later~~~

     After spending some time at the ice cream shop, the mercenaries and I finally got home. Exhausted but relieved, each one of us settled our new stuff in my room and went downstairs to relax. While we were sitting on the couch and watching various shows on tv, a certain dove immediately flew over and nested on my hair, earning a giggle from me.

     "ARCHIMEDES!" The German doctor seated next to me scowled at his pet. "Get off of her zhis instant!"

     "Hehe don't worry, Medic. It's alright."

     I gently lifted the fluffy fellow off my head and cuddled him on my lap, stroking his feathers. Cooing softly, Archimedes snuggled warmly and looked up at me with his beady eyes.

     "Aww..." I smiled down at the dove. "So adorable..."

     As I lifted Archimedes again to plant a small kiss on his beak, the bird cooed sweetly that he eventually perched on my shoulder to give me a light peck on the lips. Giggling at this moment, little did I notice Medic frowning even more. Well not to me, but to his dove.

     "Dieser glückliche Vogel (That lucky bird)!" The doctor thought to himself. "How does he get to have vhat I vant? I mean, he just kissed my (Y/N)!"

     As I watched the dove fly back to my cockatiels' cage, I realized that the doctor was still feeling annoyed.

     "Something wrong, Medic?" I curiously looked at him. 

     "Oh?" He snapped back to reality as he laid his icy blue orbs on me, replacing a frown with a quick smile. "It's nozhing, fräulein." 

     "Are you sure?" I raised an eyebrow. "You seem to be bothered by something."

     "Oh I know!" A gruff American got everyone's attention in the room. "He's very jealous of his own pigeon!"

     "Shut up, Soldier!"

     The rest of the men bursted into laughter as Medic chased the helmet-cladded mercenary around with a syringe gun in hand. I even tried to stifle a giggle when Heavy cheered on his German friend.

     "Go get him, Pigeon Daddy!"

     As this went on, I noticed Archimedes cuddling next to one of my birds. Seeing that he nuzzled Maxie's orange cheek, I couldn't help but to think that a pet dove of a video game character would be so enamored of my cockatiel. But then, I remembered Medic's strange reaction and what Soldier just said earlier. A mad doctor being envious of a bird? That sounded silly, but at the same time, I wondered if that was true.