Chapter 56

"Mmm! It's so good!"

"Holy crap! This is my favorite flavor back from home, sweet cheeks!"

For a moment, Scout and I were sitting on an iron bench, taking our time to indulge in our summer treats. The Bostonian selected a salted caramel truffle while I got a (F/F) scoop, both served on marshmallow-covered waffle cones. As we savored our creamy delights, something bounced from the air and landed just a couple feet in front of us, catching our attention.

"Oh? A baseball?"

Scout stood up from his seat and pick up a white leather ball with red double stitches. While he examined it, a shout was heard in the distance.

"Excuse me, sir! Can you throw the ball, please?"

The Bostonian looked up to see a little boy waving at us. Standing in the distance, that kid appeared to be around 4 feet tall and wore a regular t-shirt, khaki shorts, and a pair of black tennis shoes. What he also sported was a black baseball cap shielding his eyes from the sun. Aside from that, he was accompanied by a couple of other children around his age.

"Sure kiddo!" Scout shouted. "Here it goes!"

Before anything, Scout gave me his ice cream to hold for him. I watched attentively as the small child readied himself for a catch. Getting in a pitching position, the Bostonian clasped his hands together with a ball secured in it, mentally calculating the distance between the kid and his location. After a moment, the young mercenary quickly threw the baseball, sending out flying like a comet in the sky until it safely landed in the boy's leather glove.

"Woo hoo! I caught it!" The kid jumped up and down with excitement, making high fives with his friends before running to the Bostonian. "Thanks, sir! And that was a nice throw!"

"No problem, kid!" Scout smiled as he knelt down to his level. "And ya don't need to call me 'sir'. Ya can call me Jeremy."

"Jeremy? It's very nice to meet you." The boy held out his hand, which the Bostonian gladly accepted. "My name is Lucas. Wanna play catch with us?"

"Well umm..."

The cerulean-eyed mercenary looked over his shoulder to where I was. I smiled and nodded at him, making a signal that he could play with the kids for a while. Returning the smile, he turned back to the child.

"Sure! I'll play with ya, fella! Gimme one sec!"

The boy nodded in understanding and returned to the grassy area with his friends. Scout went back to our bench just to finish his last bits of ice cream. Once he finished the last piece of that waffle cone, the Bostonian gave me a quick kiss on my cheek.

"Gonna play with the kids, babe! I'll be right back!"

"Hehe I'll be sitting here, Jeremy!"

Kissing me one more time, Scout grinned and went on to play a game with the adorable kids. Feeling relaxed, I remained on the iron bench to finish my favorite dessert. It had been around twenty minutes, and the Bostonian was still tossing the ball around, having fun with the children. While they were at it, I felt a presence of a stranger who just sat on the opposite side from me.

"Such a beautiful fine weather out here. Ain't it, babe?"

I turned to my side, seeing a young man who just spoke; but when I got a better look of his face, my cheeks suddenly became pale. He appeared to be a familiar aquamarine-eyed brunet of lanky built, wearing a duo navy blue and azure jersey, dark gray shorts, arm warmers, and a pair of light blue sneakers with white crew socks. Along with them, a matching hoodie was tied around the waist, and a baseball cap covered most of his hair. Knowing that trouble would be brewing, I tried moving away; but unfortunately for me, an arm swiftly snaked around my waist, pulling my form closer to his.