48. Goodbyes

You had put the last piece of clothing in your backpack, when you heard a small knocking on the thin paper door of your room.

You turned around. "Yes?"

The door slid open and revealed the black-haired student.

"Oh, hey Taro. What's the matter?" You greeted him with a smile as he stepped into your room.

"Nothing particular." He said casually while shrugging with his shoulders.

"Just wanted to see if I could help you somehow." He added as he sat onto the futon besides your backpack.

He looked at it, then at you.

Is this sadness in his eyes?

"So you are really leaving with Masamune." He started.

You were not sure if that had been a statement or a question. His eyes did not seem to have their usual brightness as he made eye contact.

"Yes, in need to. Like I told you, I have responsibilities back there." You replied softly while folding the last piece of clothing together and placing it on the bed. 

You really liked the dojo and its people and it broke your heart when you thought about Masamune and Imari but you needed to get back. Back to the city, to the agency.

You had to find out what this piece of metal would reveal, how it would fit into the puzzle.

Red feathers and golden eyes crossed your mind.

He would be there as well...

Your heart started to pound.

You slightly shook your head to shake of the up-bubbling feeling and pressed down your clothing maybe a little too hard into your backpack.

Was it happiness, sorrow, fear? You did not know and also did not want to explore it any further. You had no time nor the nerves to deal with something like this at the moment.

The cult had highest priority. This you told yourself at least.

In reality you had no idea how to face him once you were back...

---

"I'm so sorry. I wish I could have been your hero back then. This is all my fault."

"You could never forgive me. I can't even do it myself."

---

You still didn't know what he had meant by that and you were not sure if you ever wanted to find out.

You just wanted it to stay like it had been between you two.

Was this too much to ask for?

"But I thought you wanted to train your quirk and your energy stream? I thought we could... Train together a little more..." Taro ripped you out of your thoughts as he looked down to his hands that were lying in his lap.

"I'm sorry. I would really like to train with you more as well." You stopped searching for the last items, you still had to pack, and turned to him.

"Look, you can always come and visit me." You smiled at him. "And I'll also definitely come back again sometime. The air in the city sometimes can get really thick."

With these words he looked up again. Now his eyes started to glow a little bit. "Really?"

You chuckled softly. "Yes, really."

Taro was only a few years older than you, but sometimes he seemed to still be a boy and nothing was wrong with that. You liked his kind personality and that he never hid what he felt or thought. He wore his heart on his tongue.