8 - Misconceptions

F/n = Father's name

-Shinso POV-

As you left the school building, you couldn't help but feel a little bit remorseful. "Maybe  I was a bit too harsh on her? No... She doesn't truly want to be my  friend. Even if she does, it's probably better to just avoid her. Who  knows what her true intentions are..."

On your way home, you pass by an old playground. You take a moment to watch a few children playing on the swing set, and before you know it, your mind starts to replay old memories...

"Everyone, stay away from Shinso! He'll brainwash you!"

"No, I won't!"

"Haahahahaha!"

"Aghhhh!"

"Watanabe! Why did you push Ito off the swings?!"

"Shinso made me do it!"

"No, I didn't!"

"That's it, Shinso! I'm calling your parents!"

"Wahhhh! But I didn't do it!"

"Everyone, look! Shinso's in trooouuubbllle!"

*sobbing*

You gasp harshly as you're suddenly pulled out of your trance by a ringing in your pocket. You quickly pull your phone out, hands shaking, and answer the call.

"H-Hello?"

"Hey, honey!"

"Oh, hey Mom."

"You all right? You sound out of breath."

"I'm fine."

"... All right... I'm heading to the grocery store, did you want me to pick up anything for you?"

"Uhm... Maybe some mochi? And we're gonna need more ramen... Uncle Shota keeps eating ours."

"Ugh, he has ramen at his own house! Why can't he just eat that?!"

"He probably just does it to mess with you."

"*sigh* You're probably right. Anyway, I'll see you when I get home. I love you!"

"Love you too, Mom."

You hang up the phone and look at the time... Half an hour had passed while you were in your trance. You put the phone back into your  pocket and continue heading home before you can give yourself another panic attack.

-------------------------------

You shut the door behind you and kick off your shoes... It's so nice to finally be home. You let out a yawn and stretch out your back before you spot your uncle sitting on the couch watching TV.

"Oh, hey Uncle Shota."

"Hey, kid. How was your first couple of days?"

"They were all right... You expel anyone?"

"Heh, almost."

"What made you change your mind?"

"... I misjudged their potential."

Your uncle wasn't usually one to change his mind on something like that, but you shrugged it off. "Nice... Is Dad home?"

"Nah, he's working another late night at the hospital."

"Right..." You tried to  mask the disappointment in your voice. Suddenly, you realized that someone wasn't there to greet you as usual. "Where's Eraser?"

Your uncle says nothing and just raises his hand.

You just shake your head in response to your uncle's antics. "The cat, Uncle... Where's the cat?"

"Oh, he's over there. He kept bugging me while I was working, so I gave him some catnip." He points to a spot on the living room floor. You approach the couch and look down to see Eraser laying on his back, passed out.

"Mom's gonna kill you..."

"We all gotta die sometime, kid."

You shake your head and decide to join your uncle on the couch. As you sit down, you notice his unfinished bowl of ramen sitting on the coffee table. "... You gonna finish that?"

He shakes his head. "Knock yourself out. You might want to heat it up, though... It's cold."

"Nah, I like it better this way."

You take the bowl in your hands and begin slurping on the noodles. Out of the corner of your eye, you see him type something on his phone. Curious, you casually lean back to try to see what he was looking at, but he puts his phone away in his pocket before you could see the screen. "You texting somebody?"

"Yeah, just that old artist friend of mine... You remember F/n, right?"

"Of course. He's the one you got that from." You pointed across the room to your favorite painting.

"That's the one" Uncle Shota confirmed.

"How's he doing?"

"All right, I think..."

"... What's that supposed to mean?"

Shota was silent for a few seconds before he spoke. "You happen to meet anyone by the name of Y/n L/n yesterday?"

You stopped for a moment as you remembered the girl who gave you the note that still sat crumpled up in your trash can.

"Yeah, why?"

He was silent for a few seconds more before he continued. "... She's F/n's daughter."

Confusion clouded your mind. "What?? But I thought you said that he was out of town for work?"

"He just moved back over the summer in time for Y/n to attend UA... And he didn't leave town for work."

It wasn't like your uncle to keep secrets from you like that... But you knew that he must've had a good reason. "So why did he leave town, then?"

Your uncle sits there with a hand on his chin and a puzzled expression on his face, as if he were trying to find the right words to say. "Five years ago, there was... an incident... involving his daughter, Y/n, and some of the kids that she went to school with. For her safety, they both moved to America."

"That's right, she mentioned in class that she'd been living in America for the past five years..."

"What did the other kids do to her that made them want to leave?"

"It's not what they did to her... It's what she did to them. All of the other kids feared her afterwards, and they moved away in order to let things cool down here for a while."

Surprise took over your features, and your uncle takes notice of that. "I'm not saying that you should be afraid of her... I just want you to understand that she's been through a lot."

You sat back into the sofa, dumbfounded... She wasn't lying when she said that she 'knew what  it was like'. She really knows how it feels to be feared by your peers. Quickly, you finish the bowl of cold ramen and put it in the sink before  rushing up the stairs. "Alright-goodnight-Uncle-I'll-see-you-tomorrow-bye!"

"'Night, kid. And brush  your teeth!" He shouts back just before hearing your bedroom door slam shut. He shakes his head before pulling his phone out of his pocket and looking at his messages.

- 1 new message -
- yesterday 5:32pm -

F/n: SHE KNOWS.

            Uncle Shota is best uncle.

Violet | Shinso x OC/Readerजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें