Chapter 46 : Archer Coleman

"Okay, thanks. We'll contact you afterward."

"Thank you!"

The keychain in her bag jingled as she fixed the strap by her shoulders.

With a push the door opened, the cold breeze snapping harshly, making her cheeks emit a reddish glow.

Stepping out of the restaurant, Joline let out a troubled sigh.

Joline flicked her wrist, squinting her eyes towards the ticking lines that pointed to various numbers on her wrist.

3:44 PM.

She was done for the day. It was now time to go home.

Clutching the strap of her bag tightly, her feet padded towards the direction of the nearby train station, the various signs pointing her to the direction she needed to go. 

The sound of people's chatters, clanks of hard soles vibrating through the greyed tarmac pavement made the street live up to its name as one of the busy streets in town.

And she was fine with it, ecstatic in fact. 

She breathed in the air, her half-lidded eyes glossed with candor, making her whole body at ease.

When was the last time she could be this free? 

It was a long long time ago.

When she was but a college student, still studying to graduate and officially be a nurse. 

A carefree smile appeared on her face.

She remembered how she would always be unwilling to part with her bed, telling herself to give herself 5 more minutes, later waking up 30 minutes after. 

How she would always visit the nearby bookstore after her classes, trying to find the books that her professors use as a reference during class. 

How she would always buy coffee at the cafe a few meters away from the bookstore, her usual ritual in preparation for the exams coming later in the week. 

She never knew how much freedom she had until she married him.

She quitted her job for him.

Stayed at home for him.

Cleaned the house for him.

Cooked for him.

Forgot herself for him.

She took a sharp breath, blinking harshly. This was now. She had to live in the now.

She took a turn and took the stairs down the subway, her shoes pattering on the grey platform almost as long as her feet, when suddenly someone shouted.

"Miss!"

She froze, both of her hands wringing the strap of her bag.

Joline quickly marched down the flight of stairs, her breathe accelerating as she ignored the call of that voice.

That familiar voice.

"Hey!"

The one who always encased her in his arms, his hot breath tickling her ear, his voice humming soft whispers full of fulmination, orders and threats in the guise of velvety words while his fingers wandered down toward her hips, making her wince as he pressed down unto the purplish bruise at her side. 

As if he was warning her, that if ever she was to refuse, then she'd-

"Miss!"

A rough calloused hand grasped her shoulders, making her turn around.