Chapter 35 : Siegfried de Chauvegné

"Stand up."

"I can't."

A boy, around 14 years of age, knelt on the ground with his head bowed, sweat trickling down his face.

He supported himself using his arms, holding on to his propped up knee to keep himself from plummeting down on the ground.

The boy already looked exhausted. With his sunken eyes and trembling arms, he looked like he could faint at any moment.

Yet the man in front of him couldn't care less.

"I told you to stand."

The man had dark ebony hair, paired with a contrasting silvery glow of eyes. His grand stature seemed greater than before, his whole figure towering over the boy's fatigued form.

The boy bit his lower lip until he felt a slight sting. Taking a deep breath, he willed his arms and legs once again, using what was left of his strength to lift himself up.

Alas, the boy crashed on the ground.

"I told you, I can't."

The boy mumbled hopelessly, his muscles feeling like it was being torched as it spasmed.

The man crossed his arms tightly on his chest, his uniform that had the same color of his hair became crumpled.

The man's lips pressed slightly, his sharp but carefully structured face rigid.

He conceded, letting the boy rest. The man turned towards the mansion, about to leave. But before he left, he bid his farewell to the boy.

"Siegfried."

"What?"

The 14-year-old boy faintly replied, his back facing towards the sky.

"We stop today."

Siegfried flinched. He hastily tried to move his body, propping his body on his elbows but fell face-first on the ground.

"W-why? I-just wait for a minute and I can--"

"You said so yourself."

The man glanced behind his back, his apparent calm eyes staring at the aggrieved brown orbs studying him from the ground.

"You can't."

The 14-year-old boy named Siegfried was left lying on the cold earthen soil.

He gritted his teeth, warm droplets of tears pooling in his eyes. 

"I-"

He squinted his eyes, tightening, his lips trembling.

"-I need to save-"

Siegfried whispered dimly. Not taking it anymore, his eyes closed shut, giving him his much-needed rest. 

--

Meltif entered his study, his rigid expression becoming conflicted.

He walked around his table and sat on his wooden leather chair.

The warm crackle of the fire burning from the fireplace calmed Meltif's heart.

Shortly after, a knock came from the door.

The door opened, a man with soft greyish locks and an earring in his left ear greeted Meltif, the man's amber eyes greeting his silver ones.

"Commander."

Louis bowed slightly, then reached for his left breast pocket.

"Letters from nobility."

Dozens of letters greeted Meltif's eyes. Louis placed it on the desk and proceeded to fish out a rolled parchment from his right pocket.