Chapter 11: Il Minjoon

It was the day after the banquet.

Hae Gi, who was supposed to go back to the Blue Courtyard, stayed and is now sitting on a stone bench facing the garden.

It was full of peaches and pink, the whole field brimming with cherry blossoms. 

It looked beautiful, but she couldn't appreciate it.

She was too nervous, her thoughts muzzled. Trying to think of a way, a solution.

But up until now, she couldn't think of one.

Hae Gi tried to remember what the original Minjoon did and what of his achievements. Remembering the plot, Minjoon's deeds were quite many. Instilling proper irrigation, building dams, improving the trade-It was a trail full of success.

The country changed and became better, more whole, and compact. But what of Minjoon's future? How can she change that?

She couldn't just get one of his ideas. It wasn't right. He thought of all of that and she has no right to steal it. 

It was the result of Minjoon's hard work. 

Even without a mother nor a father, he still moved forward. He taught himself and made his own values. He achieved many things and soared to greater heights using his own talents. Yes, the original Hae Gi was there to protect his back, but he defended his front. He overcame those obstacles and fought with all his might to achieve greater power. 

Hae Gi couldn't help but admire Minjoon's resiliency.

So she couldn't, she has to find the best solution that will change his fate. What could influence a shift? Who could cause a ripple?

"Hae Gi? Is there something wrong?"

Someone sat on the seat next to her. Looking up, Hae Gi saw the original's best friend, Eunjung. 

Hae Gi stared at the woman in front of her, her gaze solemn. She was envious, envious of the original Hae Gi who was lucky to have met this kind of person. A person who values her and treats her almost as a sister. A loyal and kind person, who gave the current her strength and guidance as the years pass. 

She felt thankful that Eunjung was there. But she felt guilty, it felt like she was deceiving her. Conversing with her now as she thought of her as the original Hae Gi, it was too remorseful. Yet the current Hae Gi continued, for the sake of her mission.

"Jungji."

"Yes?"

"What do you think causes change?"

Both women looked at the field of cherry blossoms, the leaves swaying with the wind. 

Eunjung looked ahead while thinking of her own childhood. Her mother scolding her when she'd done something wrong, her father's apathy towards her, her cousin's cowardice, her own fears, and thoughts.