Chapter 7: Il Minjoon

The sun shone brightly, revealing a wide courtyard. The sound of the wind blowing combined with the splash of water echoed within the enclosure. A silver-haired boy can be seen running around, chasing a butterfly while a woman with black ebony hair tied in an up-do is washing clothes.

A normal day for an average family.

Only that the boy is a prince, and the woman is an empress.

Many years have passed and Hae Gi's son, Minjoon was already 3 years old. Within those 3 years, many changes transpired. Instead of a thousand concubines, only one woman entered the harem. It was the high official's daughter, Min Hi. Next is Eunjung's intervention, defending Hae Gi and stepping up for her. The General, who was nonexistent in the plot showed up, frequently passing the blue courtyard, glancing for a bit then going on his merry way. The past maids of Hae Gi, who was supposed to be dismissed by the Emperor, stayed and was assigned to the courtyards near the mother and child's abode.  It was all thanks to Hae Gi's actions that triggered this huge change.

Hae Gi stopped scrubbing the clothes and exhaled. She looked at the sun that was slowly setting in the east. It was almost time for dinner.

She stood up, dusted her clothes and looked for a basket in the left corner of the yard.

Minjoon who was currently preoccupied with the insect, noticed his mother standing up looking for a basket. He looked at the butterfly, then to his mother. Only a little bit more and he'll be able to catch it with his hands and present it to her. 

Hae Gi who already had a basket in hand turned to look at Minjoon only to find an empty space. She was about to panic until she felt a small hand clutching the hem of her dress. It was Minjoon, looking at her with a bright smile on his face.

"Mama, where we go?" Minjoon murmured. His eyes blinking.

"To get some vegetables little Min. It's almost time for dinner and we won't have any food if we don't go out." Hae Gi cajoled. She brushed Minjoon's hair, the light reflecting his ashen hair making it shine.

"Okay, Minjoon will help." He ran, getting his own little basket at the corner of the tree then trotting towards his mother.

Together, they walked to the door, leaving the silent courtyard. A butterfly can be seen in the corner of a jar, it's lid opened.

They walked together in the long massive hallway. Trees adorned the passage, along with a pond full of lilies. Leaves were scattered in the yard, countless flowers floating in the water.

It was a picturesque scene.

The mother and child pair trudged down the path inching closer to their destination. Then from the distance, a woman with heavy voluminous hair adorned with countless ornaments, and a purple dress adorned with golden silk, that Minjoon thought looked heavy, was walking towards them with countless servants in tow.

It was Min Hi, the newly appointed consort.