7.13

Ron sleeps beside the crackling radio. Harry lies a few feet away, awake.

Hermione and I huddle outside in the frigid darkness, trembling. Our eyes rake the trees. Deep within, there is, for the briefest of instances, movement. Or so it seems. We look to each other, then back, both squinting. Seeing nothing, we take a breath and continue to huddle together for warmth. As we do, something carries on the air... laughter. The cackle of... boys? Or so it seems. Our chins rises. We look again into the trees, rising with suspicion and fear.

Hermione and I move towards the trees, getting deeper and deeper, then we stop. Shadows splinter amid the towering trunks and voices come clearer. Standing utterly still, we watch as a gang of Snatchers make their way in our direction.

They look unwashed and feral, as if they've been in the wild for some time. As they pass, within feet of us, but unable to see us, only Hermione and I's eyes track their passage.

As before Scabior leads the way, Fenrir Greyback at his side. Abruptly, Scabior stops, eyes narrowing.

"What's that? That... smell?" The others glance about dumbly. Scabior retraces his steps until he stands directly in front of Hermione and I, his eyes looking right through us. He leans forward ever-so-slightly, only inches from our necks, nostrils flaring.

The locket ticks, trembling upon my breastbone. Then, slowly, Scabior pulls back, eyes probing the darkness, before withdrawing, leading the others away. The last pair drag what appear to be bodies. As they vanish within the trees, Hermione and I finally swallow and breath out with a sigh of relief.

"Snatchers." We spin, finding Harry standing a few feet off. "Good to know your enchantments work."

"He could smell it." She says, breath still quickened.

"Our perfume." I finish for her, looking back at the trees.

The three of us begin to walk back to the tent. I glance up towards the tent and see Ron pushes past the tent flap, peering into the darkness. He sees Harry and Hermione. Standing close.

Hermione hugs herself and shivers.

"We have to leave. We're not safe here." Harry states.

"I told you. Ron's not strong enough to Apparate." Hermione tells him.

"Then we'll go by foot." I suggest.

—————————————————————————

Ron and I trail behind Harry and Hermione. He glances about sullenly, staring at the forsaken landscape, then looks up ahead to them. The sight of the two, walking side-by-side, does nothing to improve his mood.

"I'm hungry." He huffs out. I turn to him, studying him for a moment.

"What?" I question.

"I'm hungry." He repeats himself.

"We're all hungry, Ron." I tell him, taking in the sunlight and the view.

Ron just glares at me. I notice this and then look to his shoulder, moving to examine his ragged bandage.

"Leave it." He jerks it away. I glance at Rons profile, then my eyes briefly land on the horcrux dangling from his neck. Ignoring his words, I rummage around in my bag in hopes to find some kind of snack to tide him over.

"Mum can make food appear out of thin air." He says, annoyed.

"No one can conjure food out of thin air." I try to say kindly, though he's making it very hard. "Food is the first of the five Principal Exceptions to Gamp's Law. The other four are-"