4.12

"The yule ball has been a tradition of the tri-wizard tournament since its inception. On Christmas eve night we and our guests gather in the great hall for well mannered frivolity. As representitives of the host school I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward, and I mean this literally because the yule ball is first and foremost... a dance." Professor McGonagall tells us as we stand in a room, all seated along the walls.

Groans emerge from the boys who are listening on. The girls seem a lot more excited.

"Silence. The house of Godrick Griffindore has commanded the respect of the wizard world for nearly ten centuries. I will not have you in the course of a single evening besmirching that name by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons."

"Try saying that ten times fast." Fred whispers to George. They try it, surprisingly, succeeding.

"Now to dance is to let the body breath, inside every girl a secret swan slumbers longing to burst forth and take flight." McGonagall goes on. Then I see Ron lean over to Seamus.

"Somethings about to burst out of Hilary but I don't think it's a swan." I hear him mutter. I slap him in the chest.

"Ronald Weasley, be nice or I will hex you into last week!" His eyes widen at my words and just stares forwards. We look back up at Professor McGonagall who is smirking at me.

"And inside every boy, a lion prepared to prance." Then she looks to Ron. "Mr. Weasley, will you join me?"

She grabs him and guides him to the dance floor. He gulps and looks back to Harry and I. We both smile at him.

"Now place you're hand tightly around my waist." She instructs him.

"Where?" He exclaims.

"My waist." She grabs it and places it there. Fred and George whistle and Ron takes it off again. But McGonagall grabs it once more. "Now bend your arm. Mr. Filch..."

Filch starts playing music and they begin to dance. Ron is awful and I can't help but laugh at his misery.

"One two three, one two three, one two three."

Harry and I turn to the Weasley twins. "Oi! You're never going to let him live this down, are you?"

"Never." They say in unison.

"Me neither." I whisper and we turn back around.

"Now everybody come together." The girls get up, but the boys remain seated. Until Neville starts them off, and the rest soon follow. I look around for a partner, but then someone grabs my hand.

"Care to dance?" Fred asks me.

"Sure, why not." I say and he takes my waist and we slowly move to the music.

"A little birdy told me that Cedric Diggory is going to ask you to the Yule Ball." He tells me. I immediately feel the warmth rise in my cheeks.

"Who, who told you that?"

"Ahh, so you want him to ask you?"

"I didn't say that."

"So you don't want him to ask you?"

"I didn't say that either."

"Well you have a long line of candidates that want to ask you. So you better make your mind up. Fast."

—————————————————————————

Harry, Ron, and I walk along the courtyard. They discuss who they should ask to the dance.

"Why do they have to travel in packs? How are you suppose to get one of them alone to ask..." Harry begins.

"Blimey Harry, you slayed a dragon. If you can't get a date, then who can?"

"Honestly boys, it's not that hard. All you have to do is say, hello would you like to go to the ball with me? That's it." I tell them, rolling my eyes.

"I think I'd take the dragon right now." Harry says and they stop awkwardly in front a group of girls. They all give them icy looks and turn away.

"Hey! Mia! Wait up." Cedric comes running up to me. "Walk with me?"

I look to the boys. "I'll be along."

They nod. And I follow Cedric towards the Lake.

"So, there's something I want to ask you." He begins.

My heart starts racing. "Yes?"

"Well, there's this ball, you know..."

"Uh huh" I nod my head.

"And we're suppose to ask..."

"Yes."

"Someone to go with us..."

"Cedric, are you trying to ask me to the ball?" I say hopeful. He pauses for a second and then smiles.

"Is it that obvious?"

"Only a little." I smile. "Go on, I'm listening."

"Mia Potter, will you make me the happiest man alive, and accompany me to the Yule Ball?"

"Let me think..." I trail off, acting like I'm thinking about it. I can see the worry on his face, like he's thinking I'm going to say no. Then I throw my arms around him and give him a quick peck on the lips. "Of course I'll go to the ball with you."

He smiles and hugs me. Picking me up and twirling me in his arms. "I'm so happy you said yes. I didn't know what I was going to do if you said no."

"I'm happy you asked." Then we take each other's hands and start walking back up to the castle.