2.13

"Gather 'round, gather 'round! Can everybody see me? Can you all hear me?" Lockhart asks as multiple students gather around a long stage. "Excellent! In light of the dark events of recent weeks, Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little Dueling Club to train you all up in case you ever need to defend yourselves, as I myself have done on countless occasions- for full details, see my published works."

"If I would've known he was going to be leading it, I wouldn't have joined." I whisper to my brother, Ron, and Hermione. The boys laugh but Hermione rolls her eyes.

"Quiet! I'm trying to listen!" She whispers.

He then gestures towards the end of the stage. "Let me introduce my assistant, Professor Snape. He has sportingly agreed to help me with a short demonstration. Now, I don't want any of you youngsters to worry- you'll still have your Potions master when I'm through with him, never fear. One, two, three." He readies his wand but Snape is already prepared to duel.

"Expelliarmus!"

Lockhart flies back and lands right in his arse.

"Do you think he's all right?" Hermione asks with sympathy.

"Who cares?" Ron says.

"An excellent idea to show them that, Professor Snape, but if you don't mind me saying, it was pretty obvious- ah- what you were about to do. And if I had wanted to stop you, it would have been only too easy." Lockhart gets back up and walks closer to Snape.

"Perhaps it would be prudent to first teach the students to block unfriendly spells, Professor." Snape suggests.

"An excellent suggestion, Professor Snape! Ah... Let's have a volunteer pair! Um, Potter, Weasley, how about you?"

"Which one?" Harry asks him, wondering which Potter he was talking to.

"Uh, you, Harry."

"Weasley's wand causes devastation with the simplest spells. We'll be sending Potter to the hospital wing in a matchbox. Might I suggest someone from my own house? Malfoy, perhaps?" Snape says, pointing to Malfoy, telling him to get on the stage. Harry then climbs up as well.

"Good luck, Harry!" Ron says.

"Kick his arse." I tell him and he gives me a smirk.

"Good luck, Potter." Lockhart tells him, stepping out of the way.

"Thank you, sir."

"Wands at the ready."

Harry and Malfoy lift their wands up in front of their faces, getting ready to bow.

"Scared, Potter?" Malfoy asks him.

"You wish." I smirk at Harry's words.

"On the count of three, cast your charms to disarm your opponent- only to disarm. We don't want any accidents here. One, two-"

"Everte statium!" Malfoy casts his spell and Harry flies back. I huff out in anger and climb up to the stage, standing between the two boys.

"Rictusempra!" I shout, and my spell sends Malfoy back. I run to Harry and help him up.

"Thanks." He mutters.

"I said disarm only!" Lockhart tells us and then looks to me. "And please, Miss Potter, do not interfere."

Before I can respond, Malfoy casts another spell. "Serpensortia!"

A snake flies out of the end of his wand, landing a few feet in front of us. A king cobra.