49

49||Dynasty: The Building
Already Gone. ”

Days passed and Ji Dwi had been occupied with many meetings with the officials, leaving him exhausted.

The officials were arguing whether or not they should have a parade for him. Park Young Sil had been insisting that he be introduced to the people as their king by having a parade while the others strongly disagreed since there were numerous reports of missing persons and were only found as corpses after three days.

Because of this, he had ordered to tighten the security and added more guards to patrol the Capital.

“ He is trying to kill you. ” Ji So warned, eyes burning through the back of Ji Dwi's skull.

“ I know that. ”

“ Sam Maek Jong...! ”

He turned sharply to give her a hard look. “ I have no time to deal with him or be his victim. ”

“ You will regret this. ”

“ I do not nor will I. Because this time, I have something to protect. I am not weak anymore, I am not the same child you have to protect. ”

Ji So sighed inaudibly, her face showing no emotion, she blinked and darted her eyes to the side and turned away from him, heading to her chambers.

“ Did Ji Eun...”

The older woman stopped in her tracks, hearing the girl's name. She sighed. “ She is growing weaker. ”

“ I will still marry her. ”

Ji So turned to him sharply. She opened her mouth to say something only to find no voice since even in her mind, she couldn't find anything to say.

||Time Skip||

Clenching his fists, Soo Ho looked at Eun Ji's unconscious form. He had been assigned by the King to guard her  when the Queen notified him of a random man who attempted to kill Eun Ji in her sleep.

And ever since coming to her room, he had not laid his eyes on her. He felt his eyes burn when he looked at her, she looked so weak in contrast to how she usually is—strong-willed and so sure of herself.

He approached her and kneeled, looking at her face. A tear slid down his cheek. He held her hand that was laying on her side and enveloped it in his hands.

“ You have to get better. ” he whispered.

“... I'm.....sorry....” she mumbled, half-asleep.

Soo Ho shook his head he knew what she was talking about without her having to tell him. He just knows and he felt it. She was suffering in guilt.

“ Do you remember when we first met? I asked for your name but you didn't tell me. You threw sarcastic remarks at me. That was the first time I looked into your eyes. The second time we met, I followed you into the forest. That was the first time I held you in my arms and it felt so right. I thought...that this was it...I thought you were the one. Every moment I've shared with you feels bright. I felt light and happy. I didn't dream of taking you out for a date...you know why? ” he swallowed the lump in his throat.

“ Because I didn't want you to be seen as another harlot of mine and I want to do so many things with you. I imagined you in my dreams countless times. I'd imagine you accepting my love for you...I...wanted to marry you. I saw my future through you. You were a glimpse of heaven. Do you remember when we hanged the laundry? I imagined my life with you in that way—hanging the clothes together, cooking together and just...doing everything together. ”

Tears fell from his eyes like waterfall, he tried to speak clearly through his tears.

“ I knew I am not the only one trying to sweep you off your feet. So I fought for you, I tried to get Sun Woo to approve of me, all I did was to woo you but alas...Sun Woo was a stranger and you were betrothed to the King, rendering my efforts meaningless. You told me the truth, who you are and all...I admit, I have never felt so scared in my life, knowing you were completely out of my reach and you disappearing in any way. I love you. I cherish you and I know you know that but I want you to know as well that I will turn my back to the things that were once my fantasies of you. I can. ”

You cannot choose who to love, therefore you mustn't suffer in guilt, I love you and I understand you. My love for you is enough to let you go. Do not pity me. I am fine. ”

Soo Ho wiped the tears off his face and planted a kiss on her forehead before going back to his post.

The doors to the chamber opened to reveal the Queen to which Soo Ho bowed. Ji So walked to Eun-Ji's side and sat. Bringing a hand to caress her cheek.

She stood and called for the commandant. “ Bring An Ji-Gong's daughter by any means necessary. ”

The commandant bowed and left to do what was asked of him. Ji So turned to the young hwarang.

“ Soo Ho-rang, is it? ”

“ Ye, Pe Ha. ” he nodded.

Her beautifully colored lips stretched into a small smile. “ I heard you were the Hwarang who took an arrow for my son. Thank you. ”

Soo Ho looked at her face, she looked sincere, he didn't know that he'll be receiving such look from the Queen.

“ ...Please, protect Ji Eun as well. ”