C h a p t e r 5 1

Last chapter!

A month had passed since everything that had happened with Rico. Me and Caterina and Eleonora surprised Zara with a surprise baby shower. The family had forgiven Zara, but Eleonora and Caterina were the hardest to come around with. Eleonora had thought of him as her son and Caterina had always loved Matthias. I understood this and so did Zara. Sooner or later, both Eleonora and Caterina managed to forgive Zara. We all believed that Matthias would soon wake up. Everyday I woke up, I told myself a little prayer for Matthias and then I would usually go visit him.

The baby shower for Zara was a success. She was having a baby boy. Pulling off the baby shower was quite hard since we had to make the men in the house go out to buy things and they were worried that something would happen if us women went out by ourselves.

Despite this, we pulled it off and I don't think I had ever seen Zara so happy before. She was surrounded by people who loved her and now she had a reason to live for. Also, everyone had started to notice how close Ethan and Zara were becoming. I was happy for both of them. They deserved to be happy.

Zara's belly had started to show more and we could all see the baby bump clearly now. We were all happy again, but we were just missing Matthias.

Today I woke up with a nagging feeling at the back of my head. I didn't know what it was, but I felt like something was off. Usually, me and Grayson would sleep together, but last night he had said he had to run some late night errands and that after that he would be having a drink at the bar with the men. I assumed that he would have gotten back very late and had gone and slept in his room. However, I got out of bed and got ready for the day. I went to go check on Grayson to see if he was in his room. I knocked once and said, "Grayson?", but I had no reply back. I frowned and knocked twice, but I still heard no answer. I tried opening the door, but it was locked, so that obviously meant that he was in the room.

"Grayson are you okay?" I asked through the door, but heard no reply. I went downstairs and I was surprised to not see Zara. She would usually be up bright and early along with Ethan. However I was surprised to see Caterina crying in Eleonora's arms. I went towards them and Eleonora smiled at me sadly. I sat next to Caterina and hugged her.

"Hey, whats wrong?" I asked, but Caterina was sobbing. I looked at Eleonora and she hugged Caterina tighter.

"Iris, help me take Caterina to her room." Eleonora said and I helped her. We laid Caterina in bed and she snuggled into her sheets, crying more. I stood outside, while Eleonora and Caterina talked. Eleonora came out of the room and closed the door behind her and sighed. She looked at me and linked her arm with mine.

"Come, lets go downstairs and I'll explain everything." She said and we went downstairs and in the empty living room.

"What's going on?" I asked and I saw hurt and sadness pass through Eleonora's eyes.

"I hate this day. I really do. I dread it every time it comes by. Before Grayson, Ethan and Caterina came here, they were dealing with their own trauma. They weren't brought up in the best place when they were younger. Their parents, Alessia and Arturo, were poor and everyday they struggled for food and good clothes to keep them warm. Their father did everything to have food on their plates and this included in him getting into bad business with many people. Grayson and Ethan were unplanned, they couldn't afford another child, but they had twins. Their mother didn't have the heart to have an abortion and so they were brought up into this cruel world. This meant that their father had to work extra hard to get some sort of food for them. They went through so much." She said and sighed sadly, looking like she was somewhere else.

"Arturo got involved in the mafia. The Bonatti family. There were also people who hated Arturo. One time he was walking with Grayson and Ethan, a gang came and beat them up. Grayson and Ethan both had to get hospitalised immediately. They were also forced to join the mafia as well and kill. There was another time where Caterina got kidnapped. She was just twelve. Arturo was in desperate need of money, so they got him to kill one of their enemy's family. Arturo refused and in turn, stole money from the safe that they kept at the mansion. Grayson, Ethan and Caterina had to watch their parents get murdered right in front their eyes in their own home, just like Marcello and your dad had to as well." Revealed Eleonora and my eyebrows shot up in surprise.