Chapter 19

I didn't get any sleep that night, or for the rest of the week, to be specific. Grayson brought in different girls every day, dragging them up to his room. He didn't get better either, each night turning up drunk, that everyone was starting to get worried. I decided to stay out his way, and he stayed out of my way too, although when we would make eye contact, I couldn't deny the rush of desire for a second, before he would avert his gaze and walk away.

It hurt at first. I just wanted to go back to how me and Grayson were before, but I knew that wasn't possible. I couldn't lie to myself, it still hurt. I hung out with Caterina, Sebastian, Ethan and I even got to know Matthias a lot better as well. Since I decided not to sleep in my room, Caterina let me share her room, which was only across the hallway.

It was better than being directly opposite to his room.

I did cry myself to sleep a few times, but I was usually alright by the morning.

I was still getting ready for the day as Caterina left the room, telling me to meet her downstairs when I'm ready. Once I was all done, I opened the door and turned around to close the door.

I turned back around to walk downstairs, when I bumped into someone. The slight distinct smell of cologne and alcohol filled my nose and I instantly knew who it was.

"Grayson." I whispered. We haven't been this close to each other in a while and now that we were chest to chest, I couldn't think properly.

We stared at each other, carefully assessing each other. I noticed that he looked tired, by the bags under his eyes and his dishevelled hair. He was dressed in a simple shirt and sweatpants. It was different from seeing him in his usual suit.

"Iris." He said finally, coming in closer and for some reason, I didn't step back. Everything that I felt for Grayson, came rushing back, hitting me like a sudden tidal wave. I think that we both appreciated the fact that we were able to be this close in a while.

I don't know what compelled me to do it, but I put my hand on Grayson's cheek, slowly caressing it.
I felt it. I felt him leaning into my touch and I gulped, but he didn't stop me. I wanted this moment to last forever, but I knew it wouldn't.

"Grayson! Come back." Came a scratchy voice, which irritated me, knowing it was one of the girls he brought home. He seemed to suddenly snap out of his trance and realised where he was.

My heart thudded.

Please don't go.

I didn't want him to go. I missed us and I didn't want him to leave me over her.

I practically begged him with my eyes. I didn't care if I seemed desperate. I just wanted Grayson back. I was tired of all this.

He still held my gaze, which gave me hope.

Please.

His eyes flickered over to her.

No.
Don't.
Don't.
Don't.

He looked back at me again and that's when he knew. He knew that I didn't want him to go, he could see it clearly. He was making it clear as well that he knew what I was thinking.

And that's exactly why the hope I had was crushed, when he walked over to her. It hurt. It hurt like a bitch.

I stood there, still surprised and hurt. It hurt so much. I blinked back my tears as I heard the door close.

I went downstairs to meet Caterina as she told me. She was waiting, with Sebastian, Ethan and Matthias.

"Are you okay?" Asked a concerned Caterina and three other pair of eyes looked at me.

"Yeah I'm fine." I lied, giving her a huge smile.

"Great, let's play football then." Sebastian declared all of a sudden, bouncing the ball which I had given to him on his birthday. We went to the near side of the house, where there was a huge pitch to play football on.

We played for a while, and I genuinely had a lot of fun that I forgot all about this morning. A few others came out to play, including some of the men and girls. Even Marcello stood outside just watching us with a small smile, before joining in the game himself. I saw the happiness run through him like he was a little boy again.

Before I knew it, I had scored the last goal and everyone erupted into cheers. Me, Caterina and some of the other girls were hoisted up onto some of the mens shoulders as they cheered us all on.

I couldn't help but realise that this was the first time that I was truly happy in a long time. As I was hoisted onto someone's shoulders, I was able to see most of the pitch.

I was also able to see Grayson leaning out the window watching us all, the thoughts running through his head.

I somehow met his gaze, above all this crazy celebration. He held onto my gaze, but I looked away.

————————————————————

A/N:
Sorry I didn't update again yesterday. I was hoping to at least update twice a day, but I was sick and still am.
Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter!
Vote! Comment! Share!
Until then ♠️

[Edited: 05/07/2021]