Chapter 22

Another week passed with me still ignoring Grayson. I thought that he had gotten used to it, but he still tried to talk to me. I finally thought that he would just give up and stay away, but he had had enough.

That was just putting it lightly.

The day started off when I was in Caterina's room with her. We both sat on her bed, both facing each other from one end to the other.
We were talking about how I was finding it here and then that's when I noticed she was playing with her hands, like she almost nervous about something.

"What's wrong?" I asked her and she looked up at me, surprised, but opted to shake her head and brush it off with a little chuckle.

"Oh, its nothing." She replied and I narrowed my eyes at her.

"Come on, what is it?" I asked again, knowing that she was bursting to tell me, but again, wasn't sure.

"I like Matthias." She said and I paused.

"Really? Since when?" I asked.

"A few years ago, when I was around fifteen. We used to hang around and play together when we were kids, but when I first met him I also used to hang around with Sebastian a lot because he was the youngest out of the men, and didn't need to do that many orders as the others.

We used to go the club everyday, even if it was for five minutes or so, and one day Sebastian introduced me to a few of the men who didn't really come to the villa that much, one of them obviously being Matthias. Well he was only sixteen around that time and shadowed a lot of the men. He did catch my eye first and I don't know what it was, but after Sebastian introduced me to him, he was so sweet to me.

At first, I really thought it was weird, like what was a guy so sweet doing in the mafia. I thought it just an act at first, but it wasn't. I then found out that Matthias has been with Marcello the longest." She said, playing with the edge of her skirt.

"How long?" I asked, now curious.

"Since he was four. He's been with Marcello for twenty years Iris. He was here before me, Ethan and Grayson came here. We came here when I was fifteen, and Ethan and Grayson were fourteen. I vaguely remember meeting a boy who was sixteen, but I didn't know it was Matthias. At that time, I didn't care anyways because I was still too shaken up with everything.

Anyways, after Sebastian introduced me to him, we started to get to know each other more, and he told me that he remembered me when he first met me, when I was fifteen.

Since I was going to the club everyday, we didn't always get to talk, but he would try to now and then and if he couldn't, he would send me sweet smiles from across the room.

On one of those days, some drunk guy was harassing me. Matthias came and sorted the situation out. He stayed calm throughout the whole thing, but when that guy started saying some stuff about what he would do to me, he lost his temper.

I-I've never seen that side of him before. It was like a completely different person, but that's when I decided that, if I was going to like him, I should accept all of him and get to know him more. I've liked him for so long it's crazy." She said, but I saw the soft smile on her as she thought of him.

I couldn't help the small ache deep inside my chest though as I thought of someone else.

I was so happy for her. Her and Matthias truly deserved each other.

"Wow. You really like him huh?" I commented, softly smiling at her.