C h a p t e r 5 0

Iris' POV:

So many thoughts were rushing through my head at that moment.

Matthias, coma, brother, Nicolàs, Marcello.

Matthias is my brother and now he's barely alive? My body had seemed to go numb. I was a mess and I was shaking terribly. I didn't know what to do.

"How could you hide that away from me?" I screamed at Marcello. He was looking at the floor, frowning and this made me more angrier. I felt a pair of hands on my shoulders, but I shook them off.

"Did he know?" I asked Marcello and he nodded. I froze as I suddenly remembered the time that Matthias had wanted to tell me something, but he didn't get the chance to.

"Marcello why did you tell her now? I told you not to. She's not in a great state right now!" I heard Eleonora shouting at Marcello. They were both arguing, but I blocked them both out. Nicolàs tried coming towards me, but I stepped away from him.

Matthias was in a coma. He had a low chance of surviving?

An eerie whistling sound made itself into my ears and I couldn't shut it out. I put my hands over my ears and shut my eyes trying to get it to stop, but I couldn't. My head was killing and was pounding forcefully.

"Iris! Iris, listen to me." I heard Grayson's voice. He wrapped his arms around me and I slightly relaxed. I cried into his chest and he held me close, soothing me. I stepped back from his hold and looked at him, hoping that what I was going to ask wouldn't hurt me.

"Did you know?" I asked him and he looked confused for a moment, before realising what I was saying. Something shifted in his eyes and a dreaded feeling came over me.

"Iris I-" He gulped, looking away from me and I broke down.

"How could you do that to me?" I whispered while sobbing. It felt so hard to breathe.

I felt so so broken.

"I'm sorry." He said, looking disappointed in himself.

I got up and tried to go to the room, but Eleonora stopped me.

"Where are you going?" She asked me softly.

"I want to see him." I said and made my way inside. When I walked in, I saw Matthias on the hospital bed. He almost looked peaceful, but I started crying again at the sight of him. There were scratches on his face and wires around him that were attached to so many machines. I went towards him and sat next to him. I tried taking deep breaths in to steady and calm myself but I couldn't help it. I held Matthias' hand and squeezed.

"You're my brother Matthias and I just found out. I guess this isn't how you expected us to reunite." I said and laughed bitterly. My heart started aching and sadness took over me when I realised how this had happened to Matthias.

Zara.

She had shot him five times.

"I'm so sorry Matthias. It's all my fault." I sobbed. I felt an arm on my shoulder and I looked up to see Nicolàs. He had grief in his eyes when he looked at Matthias.

"Why? Why did you leave us?" I asked him and I saw the tears glistening in his eyes.

"I had to. I'm so sorry. I wasn't in any shape or form to look after you two. I sent Matthias to Marcello when he was a young boy and when your mother left me so he wouldn't remember me. I was going to bring him back when your mother came back and she gave birth to you, but I couldn't. Not after your mother passed away." He said and the tears started rolling down. I didn't know if I trusted him and I didn't know anything about him, but he was my father. After all this, I don't want to push the only family I had away.

I hugged my father and we both cried together. We stayed by Matthias' side for a while, before he revealed something that had almost changed everything.

"I knew it was Zara who had done this." He said and I looked at him suddenly. She did terrible things, but I didn't want her to die, especially as she had another human growing inside of her.

"Iris. Zara came to me when you were kidnapped by Rico. She also revealed that she had shot Matthias. She said she did it because she had no choice and that she wouldn't ever forgive herself for it. We both thought that he was still alive, but I didn't know that he was in a coma, barely alive until Marcello had told me now. In that moment, I wanted to kill her. However, she did say that she wanted you to be safe again, so she told me a plan to come and get you. I was still skeptical of her, but she said that she was pregnant. I couldn't do that to her or to myself. I couldn't kill a baby. I wouldn't live with myself and most importantly, you or Matthias would not have forgiven me." He said and I released a big breath. I was confused as I didn't know how to feel, but Zara had done all this to keep me safe in the most peculiar way possible.

I looked at Matthias and only just noticed how similar his features were to my father's as well.

"I believe that Matthias will get through this. He'll come back to us, I just know it. I forgive Zara, I wouldn't want to do the same to her. Thats not who I am and I wouldn't forgive myself either." I said and he nodded.

"I'm glad that was the decision you made. I don't deserve to be here right now. I'm a horrible person. When you saw me slaughtering Rico's body, that was the real me Iris. You had to see the real me before you decided that you wanted to get to know me again." He said. The thought of Rico's body entered my mind and I felt sick again. I sighed and looked at him.

"I don't know. We don't know that much about each other, but from what I heard of what you had done to keep me and Matthias safe shows me that you're more than that. You care for your loved ones. I don't hate you for what you decided for us... Dad." I said after a moment and he smiled. Something changed in his eyes and he looked happy again.

"Although, you do need to work on your temper." I said sheepishly and he chuckled.

"I love you kiddo. I've always watched after you, to make sure you were safe all this time. You have grown into a lovely young lady. You remind me so much of your mother. She would be so proud of you." He said and I hugged him again. He kissed my forehead and looked at me.

"I'll come visit again soon, you stay safe and I believe and hope that Matthias will come back to us soon too." He said. We both said our goodbyes and he left. I turned back to Matthias and squeezed his hand again softly.

"Please come back to us Matthias. I believe in you." I said to him. Caterina walked in through the door and looked at Matthias and then at me. I saw tears roll down her cheeks and she came towards me and hugged me.

"I just found out everything." She said and I hugged her tightly.

"Are you okay?" She asked me and I nodded and smiled.

"Yeah, I'll be fine." I said and we both looked at Matthias.

"He'll wake up soon." I said softly and Caterina smiled with tears in her eyes.

"When he wakes up, I'll tell him that I love him." She said and I smiled, feeling happy for her.

We both ended up falling asleep beside Matthias, hoping and praying that he would wake up.

A/N:
I really liked this chapter, what about you guys?
Please comment down any questions or message me privately if you want.
Hope you guys enjoyed!
Vote! Comment! Share!
Until then ♠️