C h a p t e r 4 6

Please read the author's note at the end of this chapter!

Marcello's POV:

It had been a long time since I had last seen Nicolàs Luciano. He was a good man, but his temper really got the best of him. Many people looked up to him. I was one of those people too, but I was also the one person by his side when his raging temper got in the way. The day that Alessandra died, Nicolàs was distraught. I hadn't been able to help him with his temper, however I was by his side. I watched time pass by, he filled himself drink after drink until I demanded a change. I mentioned Iris, and something changed in him. It was the first time I had seen Nicolàs cry. He broke down and cried. It didn't last long. He cleaned up his act and  soon focused his attention on Iris. I did not regret my promise to Nicolàs. I never did and never will. I trusted my friend Sam Juanita to look after Iris and bring her up as well. However, the feeling of regret caging inside of me for the past couple of days was due to the fact that I had not been able to keep up my side of the promise to Nicolàs. I felt like I had failed him. I had no idea where Iris was and I had no clue whether she was alive or not. I need help. I need Nicolàs.
I had no idea how to get in touch with him. I had no phone number, address or even any way of contacting him.
Although...
He wouldn't be there... would he?

                                ****

I had arrived. I had arrived at the place that my conscience was telling me to.

So many years working in the mafia and it surprised me that I had listened to my conscience for once.

I chose to come during midnight. Why I chose to go at this time, I had no idea, but this was my best guess. Nicolàs had disappeared for over 15 years. He probably would not want to be seen in daylight by many people who still knew him and if this was the only answer I could come up with, then let it be. 

Who knows, maybe he's in a different country.

I still had to see if my conscience was leading me somewhere promising at least. This place that I had arrived, it was behind a library. However this library, it was built on the ruins of Nicolàs' old house. The house that was burnt down in the fire that occurred many years ago. Deep down, I had a feeling that Nicolàs still visited this place, but I didn't know why. This was where he had lost everything, but Nicolàs was a strange man.
I waited for an hour and had noted down the surroundings of the place. It had changed a lot. When Nicolàs' mansion was still up, he had his own land. Now this land was filled with a huge library and a few corner shops. It was a quiet place and didn't seem too suspicious or dodgy.
Another hour passed by and I grew restless.

Was I losing my mind?  Was I stupid for thinking that Nicolàs was going to come? The consequences of listening to my conscience I guess.

With that in mind, I still for some reason waited another hour. I hated this place and I had a good reason to.
I sighed In defeat once I realised that Nicolàs wouldn't be coming. I had failed him. I stuck my hands in my pocket and got up from the wall I was leaning against. My eyes were tired and I desperately needed sleep. This is what happens after 3 hours staring at the sky.
I began walking home and frowned in annoyance as a cold breeze hit my face.

"How long has it been? Around 20 years?" Came a familiar voice through the bitter dark night.

A/N:
This chapter is still short, but obviously longer than the previous one. I'm sorry for the short chapters, however I am only doing this because I'm the worst at updating my book and I think (maybe) that writing shorter chapters helps me to update more. I am so sorry for going all AWOL or MIA or whatever, but this book does need to come to an end soon :( I think the ending of this book is a bit overdue now, but we will see how it goes. I have been thinking of writing a sequel for this book. Would you guys like this? For the sequel I was thinking of writing Matthias' and Caterina's story. I think this would be interesting because I would be able to go into more detail about everyone's past. However, tell me what you guys think about this and comment down below if you do want a sequel or not!
Hope you guys enjoyed!
Vote! Comment! Share!
Until then ♠️