C h a p t e r 4 2

I woke up that day, feeling determined. I needed to get out of here. I got ready for the day and grabbed a bag. I stuffed it with a couple of clothes, not too much though as I didn't want to make it obvious. I also grabbed my toothbrush and toothpaste and stuffed them in the bag along with some spare change. I left the bag behind the door and shut it behind me, going to find Marcello. I found his room and knocked on the door.
He opened the door and looked at me. No emotion passed through his face and he stepped back to allow me in, as if he knew we were going to have a long conversation.
"Come in." He said and I asked him, "how did you know I wanted to talk to you?"
He smiled slightly and shook his head at the floor before looking back at me.
"I doubt you would want to just talk to me casually Iris." He said, raising his eyebrow as if he knew the answer to it already.
I turned red slightly and looked away in embarrassment.

"What did you want to talk about?" He asked, "Do you need money? Extra clothes? Food?"
I shook my head and stayed quiet for a moment.
"I-I was wondering if..." I paused, not knowing if this was the best idea.
"You were wondering what?" He asked me, sorting out his suit sleeves.
"Well, I-I just wanted to let you know that I want to go back to my normal life. You know the life I had before all this." I said and after a moment I added, "I want to continue my studies and live a normal life again."
He narrowed his eyes slightly and leaned back in his chair, assessing me carefully.
I kept a straight face and looked back at him.
"Why now?" He asked and I stuttered.

I didn't know what to say.

"Why do you all of a sudden want to go back to living your "normal" life Iris? You seemed happy a few weeks ago." He said and I looked down at the floor. Before I could answer, he snapped his fingers as if he knew the answer.
"Grayson." He said and I paused dumbfoundedly. To save myself from creating further confusion and trouble, I nodded and agreed with him.
"I-I guess so, yes." I said and he nodded along thoughtfully.

"Look, you two are a funny pair. Very on and off, but good together nonetheless. Whatever is going on between you two will be solved soon. Don't feel like you have to move away just because of Grayson. You two are both adults." He said and I went to add in that I just wanted to continue living my life before the mafia got involved, but he cut in.
"Iris, I don't know why you're asking me this, but you know I can't let you just leave. You know this. I'm sorry, but no. End of discussion." He said and stood up. I sat there for a moment and sighed.
"O-okay, I'm sorry for asking. Would I be able to go shopping for a bit? I need some fresh air, I've been cooped up in my room for a while now." I said and he barely glanced at me and nodded.
"Yes, I'll send a bodyguard to your room in a few minutes, you go get ready." He said and I nodded.
"Thank you." I said and he nodded looking somewhere else thoughtfully.
I eventually left his room and smiled to myself as everything fell into plan. I quickly scurried to my room and shut the door behind me. I grabbed my bag, phone charger and phone and waited for the bodyguard to come knock on my door. I hoped it wasn't Ethan or Matthias. It would be hard for me to betray them like that. Also knowing Ethan, he would probably follow me into Victoria Secret as well. I also hoped that for the life of me, Marcello wouldn't assign Grayson to follow me around all day. That would be worse.

My thoughts were cut off when I heard a knock on the door. I stood up and opened the door, revealing one of Marcello's men. I smiled at him slightly, but inside I was happy that I was assigned someone I didn't really know.
"Cole. Marcello ordered me to be your bodyguard for today." He introduced himself.
"Iris." I told him, although he probably knew my name. He nodded and looked behind me for a moment before looking back at me.
"He was going to assign Grayson with you today, but said he thought it would be too awkward between you two." Cole rambled on and I plastered on a sweet smile and nodded.
Once he was finished, I grabbed my bag and we both left.