30

Pov Josh

'So I can see him?' I ask excited. 'Yes.'
'When?' 'Whenever you want, he's recovering,' he responds.
'What are we waiting for!'
'You can't take Alex with you.'
'Oh right,' I look at the little boy, 'I'll call his mother, I'm sure she would love to babysit.'

I didn't really like Jo after what happened but we promised her to be a part of his life so.. yea.

Of course she agreed and for once.. I was happy about it.

'

I fiddle with the ring around my finger while waiting for them to open the door for me.

After what feels like ages they do.

I walk in to see Ted laying under a blanket on his back with his eyes closed. His face looks alright I guess.

I walk over to him and sit down on the flimsy chair next to the bed.

'He's probably awake, he just tends to keep his eyes closed.' I nod.

'Ted,' I lay my hand down on his cheek, 'are you awake honey?'
His eyes shoot open as he looks at me.
'Josh? You're here.. that's..' His voice is hoarse and completely stops.
'That's?' I repeat. 'That's sooner than.. I expected.'

I smile and caresses his cheek.
'I came as soon as I could and I'm trying real hard not to lock you in my arms.' 'W.. why not?' I sigh quietly.
'I don't want to hurt you.'

He shifts up and he looks to be in so much pain. 'Can you.' He looks at the blanket. 'Remove the blanket?' I ask.
'A little bit.' I nod.

The first thing I notice are the wounds on his chest. I traces my fingers from wound to wound.. I don't touch them, I touch the skin next to them.
He makes little noises to let me know it hurts.

'Please Josh just hug me.. I miss.. missed you.' 'But it will hurt you.'
'I.. I don't care,' he mumbles.

I carefully wrap my arms around him and kiss his forehead. 'Ted the next time you're planning on leaving me behind for six months.. take me with you alright.' 'I will.. don't worry.'

I move back.

'Can I have your hand?' He slowly and carefully sticks out his hand to me.
I hold it and place a quick kiss on his wrist.

With my other hand I take the necklace I've been wearing off and place it inside his palm.

'I kept it warm for you.'
He smiles weakly. 'Can you.. put it on?' 'Of course.'

He carefully sits up and moves to the side so I can sit down next to him, which I do of course.

I put the necklace on, which looks weird on his bruised body.

'I thought you didn't like it to lay on your wings?'
'They're numb,' he mumbles.
'How come?' I ask.
'One of them is broken and I couldn't deal with the pain.' 'How!?'
'I was fragile Josh.. well I still am but it was so much worse.'

We just sit there for a while and enjoy each others presence. I would want to talk and talk and talk but I know I can't, he's to weak for that.

'How's Alex?' He asks after a while.
'He has gotten so big and I'm sure he misses you,' I rub his hand, 'When are you coming back home.'
'When I'm strong enough to go through the portals well.. that's if you can take care of me.'

I sigh at the thought.
I couldn't.. I couldn't take care of him and I knew that, I couldn't stay with him all day.

'What's.. wrong?' 'I can't Ted.. I can't.'
'Sorry I shouldn't have.. said that.'
'Honey it's fine,' I take a hold of his hand, 'We'll manage.'

It's quiet for a while and all that happens are eye movements and little squeezes in each others hands.

'You know,' I start, 'something that Louise told me has been bugging me.'
'Go on,' he mumbles.
'He forbid me to marry you and.. he said something will happen if we do.'
'Something bad?' He responds quietly.
'Yes.' 'Well.. worse than this,' he points at himself, 'is almost impossible.'
I chuckle quietly at his reply.

'Can you scoot over?'
'This bed is soaked with my blood, sweat and tears.. you don't want to lay next to me.'
'I've slept without you for months, does it look like I care if I smell after I leave?' I reply.

A simple smile forms on his face.
'Alright.. whatever you want.'

A smile is plastered on his face as he makes room for me to join him, but hid eyes gave everything away.. he's so badly hurt and it pains me to acknowledge it.

I lay down on my back and he places his head up on my chest.

'Whatever Louise has told you.. it.. it doesn't matter, he's gone now.'
'Is he though? Many in your family have tried to get rid of him and failed miserably.. I can't find a reason to believe he's actually gone now. What if he left you and he's already inside Alex's his mind?' I reply.
'He isn't.. he's inside a jar,' he mumbles.
'What?' I ask, 'They put him in a jar?'
'The glass is unbreakable and this way we can speak with him. Not like we want to do that but.. it's a possibility.'

It sounds absolutely ridiculous.. how can you just put something.. someone in a jar? It doesn't make sense.