Chapter 17

Hazel's POV

It was the next day and we were all concocting a way to get down into the well and get up as much gold as we can. Me, Sarah, and Kiara were all in the van looking at a map of the well.

"So that is 50 feet down and they are using a 100 feet rope," said Kiara as she pointed at the map.

"So this little wagon will go straight to the gold," said Sarah. "Who drew this?" Laughed Sarah. I'll be honest, this wasn't the best map.

"Who do you think," I laughed as I looked over at Pope. "He isn't the best drawer"

"Kie," said JJ as he walked over to us. "This better work, we can't pawn this if there is a giant wheat symbol on it." We were going to melt the gold together so that the wheat symbol on it would disappear.

"It's going to work," said Kiara as she held up the blow torch. We all got up and walked over to where JJ was at. John B and Sarah sat next to each other, and me and Pope sat next to them. Kiara and JJ are the ones who will be melting the gold. JJ put the gold in some container thing, then Kiara started to melt it.

After the gold was all melted, we went inside the van, and went to the pawn shop. JJ would be using his skills to get the worker to buy the gold off of him.

"After noon ma'am," said JJ as he went to the cashier. Me and the rest of my friends looked around the pawn shop to not look to suspicious.

"I see you buy gold here," said JJ.

"That's what the sign says, don't it?" Said the lady sarcastically. I looked around where the jewelry is, and I'll be honest. They do have some good rings.

"Well I sure hope you buy a lot of it, because I'm about to blow your mind," said JJ as he started to look in his backpack for the gold.

"I ain't got much mind left to blow, so have at it," said the lady.

"How about them gold apples?" Said JJ as he placed the gold down in the counter.

"That ain't real," laughed the lady. I can tell that this woman is going to be one tough woman to go threw.

"Feel how heavy it is," said JJ as the lady picked up the gold. I looked over at Pope who was coming down the same aisle at me.

"What if this doesn't work?" I whispered to him.

"It will," assured Pope.

"Spray painted tungsten," said the lady as I listened back into their conversation.

"Why don't you see how soft it is?" Said JJ. The lady picked up some utensil and basically beat the gold to see if it was real. If it was real then it wouldn't crack, and it didn't.

"Won't you look at that," said JJ.

"Don't get your hopes up. We ain't got to the acid test yet," said the lady. I watched with Kiara and Pope as the lady put acid drops on the gold.

"Well, it ain't plated, and it ain't painted," said the lady started to believe us.

"Ma'am I'm telling you. This is as real as the day is long," said JJ.

"It looks like somebody tried to melt it down," said the lady ignoring JJ. I looked over at Kie. She didn't do the best job at melting the gold.

"My mom," said JJ. "She has all this jewelry laying around and she thought it was best to melt it down."

"Seven pounds?" Said the lady as she put the gold in the weigher. "That's a lot of earrings."

"To be honest ma'am. It's really hard to see my mom fall apart with Alzheimer's," lied JJ. I started to laugh a little because JJ doesn't have a mom, and also because that was the only excuse he could think off.