Chapter 31- Awkward situations and Waitresses

Josh's POV

When our performance finally came to an end, Bryan recorded all reactions, Brandon had his arm around Kelsey as they both cheered, Tess's dad was busy fake crying, Jason was teasing me about not telling anyone I could sing, Troy was ruffling Tess's hair as she smiled, her breathtaking eyes bright, and Lynette grinned from the couch.

I scratched the back of my head and smiled. "My mother taught me a thing or two."

"Oh, don't be humble. You sounded amazing," Tess said, coming up to me and beaming brightly.

My breath hitched at our closeness, but I played it off by coughing and turning my attention back to Jason. He noticed and smirked at me, lifting one eyebrow and folding his arms.

"Hey, it's still my birthday, you know. I should be treated specially till the end of it. What do you want to do?" she asked, grabbing onto my arm and looking up at me with puppy eyes.

I sighed. "Why do you always do this to me? Isn't it enough having four guys whipped?"

She shook her head vigorously, leaning more into me that her body was pressed against my entire arm. I swallowed nervously. "Where's the fun in having only four?"

I slowly backed away and retreated my arm from her. "You go up, and I'll be there soon."

She pouted, her eyebrows scrunched. "Why can't we just go together?"

Why was she this cute?

"I'll be there, just hang on," I rushed, running into the kitchen. I let out a huge breath when I was finally alone. Everyone's voices sounded muffled. I walked to the fridge, grabbing a bottle of water and downing it. I looked down and let out another sigh in frustration.

Why isn't it disappearing?

"Josh, are you okay?" I heard Tess ask. I hurriedly placed the empty bottle water in front of my crotch.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine. Are you good?" I asked hastily.

She crooked her head to the side. "I'm fine, but you're acting weird."

I shook my head. "I'm fine. I-"

"What are you both doing in here," Bryan asked, standing beside Tess.

"Nothing," Tess and I said in unison.

He gave us a weird look. "Alright, well, everyone is turning in for the night. You guys should too."

I nodded, agreeing with him. "Yeah, Tess. You should probably go to bed."

She frowned. "I'm not a kid, and there's still an hour before my birthday ends. Spend it with me," she whined.

Was there no escaping this incredibly awkward situation?

I struggled to find words. Bryan narrowed his eyes at me, noticing what was going on before bursting out in laughter. His laughter boomed around the whole house that more people filed into the kitchen.

"What's all the ruckus?" Brandon asked Kelsey on his tail.

"Josh doesn't want to spend time with me," Tess pouted.

"That's not it! I do. I'll be up in a minute. I have, um, I have some chemistry homework to finish."

"We both have chemistry, Josh. There wasn't any homework. What are you talking about?" Brandon asked. I glared at him.

Tess gasped. "Are you trying to get out of keeping me company?"

I hung my head in shame. My cheeks were getting hotter by the minute. "I meant biology. I have biology homework."