Chapter 27-In the Flesh

Tess POV

There was intense pain on my arm, and my mouth and throat were dry. I tried to open my eyes but was immediately blinded by the light. I shut them back quickly and breathed through my mouth. The IV drip in my left arm was completely numb. 

Alright, let's try that again.

I slowly opened my eyes and gradually got used to the lighting and could finally see my surroundings. Everything was white. The room, which I'm supposing was a hospital room was white, the bed I was laying on was white, but I wasn't wearing a white hospital gown that patients regularly wore. I was in my favorite blue crop top, that was my mom's, and pajama pants.

I smiled slightly. Kelsey most likely did this to make me feel more comfortable. I had a drip in my arm and bandages. I looked around my surroundings once more and saw that my hand was in Troy's. He was sleeping on a chair next to my bed, and I squinted a little to see another figure on the floor.

Josh.

He lay on the hospital floor that was probably dirty, but he didn't look like he cared. He had one hand in his hair as he looked up at the ceiling. I cracked a smile. He was here.

I wondered how long I had been out. I had almost forgotten what had happened until the dark blonde boy came into my head once more. My hand in my brother's clenched.

When I get my hands on that fool.

How could people be so cruel in the world? He broke my phone! My poor rose, gold baby. Just the thought of everything from the coffee shop till getting shot was getting me dizzy. To top it all off I jumped, or instead fell off a cliff. None of these things happened on a typical day of anyone's life. All I could remember was blacking out the minute I was engulfed by the waves and waking up in Josh's arms.

He saved me.

He came to me.

He risked his life to look for me.

"Josh," I whispered, hoping he would hear me.

Hearing the littlest, faintest whisper, he jerked up from the floor and raced to the other side of my bed. He had big dark circles around his eyes, and his hair was flying in all directions. His normal bright, beautiful green eyes looked as dull as ever.

He stared at me for longer than a minute, trying to understand whether I was actually awake or if he were dreaming. I said nothing and stared right back at him, almost breaking into a grin.

After more than a minute, he reached out slowly to lightly touch my cheek. He ran his hand from my cheek to my neck and back to my face before cupping my face in both of his hands.

"Tess...Sunshine," he stated, his voice shaky.

"In the flesh," I replied.

He let out a massive breath before closing his eyes and bringing his forehead to mine. I put my hands over his that was on my face.

"I was so scared. I thought you wouldn't...you looked so weak and lifeless in my arms that day. I didn't know what to do. I was terrified," he rushed out as he opened his eyes that were now glassy.

Was he that scared of losing me?

"I just got you in my life I can't lose you," he said.

"You won't lose me. No matter what. I'm sorry I scared you guys, I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. It was an off day," I muttered.

By the side, I noticed Troy stir in his sleep before slowly waking up and yawning. He stretched his arms, and his eyes landed on me.

"Oh, hey, Tess," he muttered.