Chapter 15- Cousins and School

My date was terrific and when we got back home; it was already past eleven. Josh gave me a kiss on the forehead before leaving. I called Kelsey, scolding her about not telling me when she got home before giving her the details of my date. Let's just say she freaked out more than me when she found out it was a hot air balloon.

I walked over to Troy's room, barging in. I knew that Paint Day may have triggered some emotions he was trying to keep at bay. He was putting on a shirt. He turned to me but said nothing. I sighed.

I resided on his bed, sitting criss-cross applesauce. Troy took a seat next to me, staring into the distance.

"It's hard, Tess," he whispered. "I thought it gets easier, but it's still really hard."

"I know."

I grabbed his hand on his lap, intertwining our fingers. We sat in silence, being caught up in our own thoughts. A teardrop landed on the back of my hand. My heart ached.

"Troy," I started.

"I'm okay, I promise. Just a passing moment," he said, quickly wiping away his tears.

I knew that whatever I said would be useless. Troy liked to be reliable. He was yet to realize that being strong also meant embracing the pain entirely. We both had therapy for a year after the incident, but there were still significant scars.

"It's okay to still be hurting. That day, you made the biggest decision ever and-"

"It's enough, Tess. I'm okay," he said, brushing away my concern. He always did this. He wanted to be there for me but never wanted me to be there for him.

I exhaled, letting it go. "Okay."

"So, how was your date?"

I rubbed on his thumb, reassuringly. "It was great. You should get some sleep, okay?"

He nodded, letting go of my hand and crawling into his blankets. I blew him a kiss, and he caught it, placing it on his chest. I quietly walked out of his room and tiptoed into my dad's office.

"Hey, daddy."

"Hey, sweetie! How was it! Did you like the hot air balloon?"

"Wait, you knew?"

"Of course I did. I had to know where someone was taking my daughter."

"I loved it!"

"I knew you would."

I smiled at him and walked over to lightly sit on his table. "Dad, Troy's hurting."

My dad rubbed his eyes in frustration, taking off his glasses. He laid back in his chair, his blue eyes staring into mine.

"I know he is. So are you. I hate that I can't heal these wounds."

"I just want him to talk to someone. He won't talk to you, Jessica, or me. I don't know what to do anymore."

"You know he wants to be strong for you."

I groaned in frustration. "He doesn't have to! He needs to be strong for himself. I'm not little anymore."

"But you'll always be his little sister, no matter how old you are. Just keep pushing slightly, Tess. If there's anyone he would speak to, it'll be you. You guys went through it together."

I nodded, feeling sad. "How was your day?" I asked.

"It was good. Some investors are coming over to our California branch next week, so it's going to be a busy week."

"Is everything good, though?"

"Of course, it is. But, there is something I need to tell you."

"Go on," I ushered.