Chapter 10- Sleepovers and Water Balloons

Troy and Jason were talking about something, Jessica was on her way to my house, Kelsey and Brandon were alone in my room, God, please protect my bed, while Bryan was on the Xbox. With everyone busy and distracted, Josh and I sneaked away to our meadow.

We lay on the grass, watching the stars come out. It was dusk, and the sky was so beautiful. Josh and I hadn't said anything to break our comfortable silence.

"She's gone," I blurted.

Josh sat up, looking at me in confusion.

Why did I just say that?

"I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me," I sighed, sitting up.

"Am I already that comfortable to be around, sunshine?" he asked, a smirk playing on his face.

I gave him a sad smile. "I guess you're growing on me."

He remained silent, and so did I not knowing what to do. I was so stupid sometimes.

"Did you mean your mom?" he finally asked.

A small smile played on my lips, and I laid back down to stare at the sky while he sat up watching me. I slowly nodded.

"Troy and my dad believe she's...you know. I, on the other hand, think she's out there. Somewhere."

He said nothing because there was nothing to say. Even I wouldn't know what to say to myself. He continued to stare at me, looking sad.

I chuckled. "Don't be down. I'm fine."

He copied my motion of lying on the grass. "My entire family is dead."

My heart fell to my stomach.

I didn't ask any questions or say anything. I didn't want to push it. That explains why he was currently living with his uncle.

"I had an older sister. She was the best person in the world. She was my role model. The person I went to when life was throwing bullets at me. She understood everything and guided me through it. She taught me so many things about girls, always saying that when she was done with me, I'd be the perfect husband." He smiled. He obviously loved his sister so much. I wonder what could have possibly happened to cause her death. The world was indeed a cruel place.

"What's her name?" She was still alive watching over him. Her name remained constant.

"Elizabeth," he said, sadness lacing through his voice. "Her friends called her Lizzy, but no one ever called her Liz. I was the only one allowed to. I learned a few basketball tricks from her. My basketball passion came from her, I guess. She made me practice and workout with her at home. She wanted to play in the WNBA so bad. She had scouts coming to games. She was finally about to live her dream."

"You really loved her," I said.

"Yeah. She was everything to me, and just two years older."

"You didn't have to tell me all that, you know."

He smiled at me. "I know. But I wanted to. My uncle said if I wasn't going to talk to him, then I should at least talk to someone. I just realized I need to start somewhere."

"And I'm glad you chose to start with me. Thank you."

He stood up and offered me his hand. I grabbed his hand and hoisted myself up. I dusted my clothes and started walking next to Josh.