Chapter 4- Today is the day

I heard a knock on the door, but I did not indicate the person could come in or offered any response.

Today is the day.

The person came in anyway. Of course. I groaned then put my pillow on top of my face.

"Dad is back, and he wants you downstairs for breakfast," Troy said while dragging my covers off me.

I groaned even louder. "Troy! It's cold. Give me back my blanket."

He shook his head and threw my blanket on my couch. "Get up and brush your teeth."

With that, he walked out of my room. I sunk back into my bed and stared at the ceiling.

Flashback

"Mom, please, please tell me this is all a joke, and you're going to be fine. You're going to be fine, right? Answer me!" I yelled. 

"Listen to me, sweetheart. You have to run," she said, slightly breathless.

"No!" I screamed. "You can't expect me to leave you here!"

"Yes I can, there's not enough time. Troy, take her," she said to my brother.

"But mom, we can't just-" he started, but she cut him off.

"You can, and you will! They're almost here. We're in a closet, they'll find us. You guys need to run, and I'll distract them, okay? Go."

"Mom, no! You can't just expect me to leave you here! Let's call the police. Let's call, dad! Or anyone. Please," I pleaded.

"We all have nothing; there's no time to be here discussing. All I need to be sure of is that both of you are safe. Once you're out, you can get help for me."

"But..." I started. She briskly kissed Troy on the forehead before touching my cheek softly.

"I love you. I love you both so much," she said, her eyes becoming soft. Her hazel eyes locked with Troys' for a brief second. It was like she gave him an unspoken message.

I looked over at Troy only to see that there were tears on the verge of his eyes. He gave her a brief nod. She told us she loved us once more.

Our mom quietly exited the closet where we hid. My eyes almost came out of my sockets as I tried to grab her, but Troy held me back. I tried to scream, but he wouldn't let me. He put his hand over my mouth.

I cried that day. Harder than I have ever cried in my entire life. Troy could do nothing but try to keep me quiet.

We heard footsteps running, and I closed my eyes as my heart shattered to pieces. That was our mom.

My mom.

I struggled my hardest to pry out of Troy's arms. I fought and hit against his chest, but he held me tightly and steadily close to his chest. His heart was pounding.

He peeked out the closet and turned back to me. "Tess we have to go," he said shakily.

I vigorously shook my head.

Standing up and swinging me on top of his shoulder, he ran like never before. He all but ignored my screams of protest and kept running without looking back.

Back to the present

That day Troy sacrificed a lot to make sure I was safe. As annoying as he is, I couldn't every be ungrateful to him. He must have been terrified himself, but he wanted to be the older brother. He didn't want me to see him break when I was already falling apart.