Chapter 6- Gymnasts and Sketches

I was halfway through 'The One' from the selection series as someone said, "Knock, knock."

I looked up from my pages and stared at Jessica. I smiled at her and patted my bed.

"Did I interrupt your reading?" she asked, but still pounced on my bed.

"Well, obviously, but you're lucky I like you a little."

She slightly cackled. "Only a little?"

I shrugged. "So, how was the university tour?"

Her eyes lit up, and I could feel a rant coming. I carefully placed my bookmark on my page and put my book on my table. I brought my legs up to my chest and rested my head on my knees, ready to listen to her.

"It was amazing! The campuses are okay, and all but the varsity gymnastics team is impressive. I'm not going to lie; I was intimidated. I know I got in, but will I be able to live up to all those other gymnasts? They are spectacular. Their turns, flips, and landings are incredibly accurate that it hurt just to watch their practice."

"Is the excellent Jessica Phenix afraid of a challenge?" I gasped. "This is a first, let me just put this down in my record book."

I pretended to pick up a book and pen, but she slapped my hand. I chuckled. "They are university students; of course, they seem perfect. Don't fear the new beginnings in life. Embrace it; you may just reach that national level," I said.

She gawked at me.

"What?" I questioned. "Do I have something on my face?"

She shook her head merriment. "How is it that the youngest seems to be the wisest?"

"Read lots of books, and you become a pro," I informed.

Jessica was a blond-ginger as Bryan liked to call her. She had cute brown eyes and a very defined face. We had all become friends when she started dating my brother three years ago. She fit in well with us, but she had her gymnast crew as well. She had been practicing gymnastics for like thirteen years of her life, and now, being a senior, she went to check out universities best suited for her with her mom.

She seemed to like the University of California, Berkeley a lot, and she wasn't going to be all that far away from Troy either.

Jessica was a calm person. On top of that, she handled my brother quite well and loved him. I couldn't have asked for better for my brother.

She waved her hand in front of my face and snapped me out of my daze. "Did you go to Tess wonderland or something?"

I chuckled but stayed silent.

"Oh yes, why is my boyfriend nowhere to be found?" she asked.

I shrugged. "How am I supposed to know? He's your boyfriend."

"He's your brother," she retorted.

"Older brother. Therefore he has more of a responsibility to me than I do to him. You on the other hand, are his girlfriend, therefore partner, therefore his equal. He is your responsibility, ma'am," I finished.

"I almost missed your wordy banter you use to make others feel dumb. Almost."

I cracked up and motioned for her to run along and find her lover. She waved at me before walking out of my room.