Chapter 17- Detention and Football games

"You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness."
-Jonathan Safran Foer
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

"So, where are we going?"

Rico looked back at me and smiled. "You'll see."

After about ten minutes of driving, we stopped at an entranced in the woods. I looked around, seeing nothing. I walked over to Kelsey and grabbed her hand because I wasn't sure if I was safe. She looked at me and rolled her eyes.

"Pathetic," she muttered but didn't let go of my hand. She's calling me pathetic?

Rico led us through the forest path, and it became scarier by the minute. "If you're planning to kill us, does it have to be in such a scary place?" Kelsey asked. I'm the pathetic one?

I saw a hint of a smile forming on Federico's lips. As if he remembered something.

"Here we are."

"Playground!" I yelled, detaching myself from Kels. I ran over to the ladder, then down the slides. Then over to the merry-go-round. Later to my favourite; the swings.

"Come on, Kels! I'll push you!" I yelled. She rolled her eyes before coming over and taking a seat on the swing.

We spent a few more minutes, enjoying the quietness and nature. "This way, ladies," he said, leading us through a path.

"We're going to zip line?" I asked.

"Yeah."

"This is so epic. I guess you're not so bad, Rico," Kelsey said.

"Thanks. Come on, let's go. My friend owns this place, so we get free rides."

~^~^~^~^~^~
"Gosh, that was so fun, Rico. I'm looking forward to hanging out with you more," I said as he pulled into my driveway.

He flashed me a pearly white smile, showing off his deep dimples and tiny crinkles around his eyes.

Kelsey and I got out of his car, walking into my house. There was still no one here; school has already started occupying everyone's time. That's why we hung out a lot during the summer.

Kelsey and I freshened up then went to bed.

~^~^~^~^~

"Morning," Rico said. I smiled politely at him but didn't give a reply. It was just the fifth day of school, and I was already tired of it.

Mr. Stone kept talking, but everything he was saying was going into my ear and going out through the other one.

"Ah, Miss. Wilson, since you look so interested, can you tell me what sin78 will be?"

I perked up, coming out of my thoughts. "Uh..." How was I supposed to know that without a calculator?

"That would be approximately 0.98. Mr. Stone," Rico answered for me.

"Thank you, Federico, but the question was directed to Tessa."

I hated it when people said my full name.

"Just for that lack of respect. I will see you in detention after school, Miss. Wilson."

Once again, I rolled my eyes as some people in the class snickered. "You okay?" Rico asked. I nodded, looking back at my calculus textbook. Only God can help me pass this subject.