forty-two; prom queen

Mr. Schuester wrote down prom on the board, everyone cocking suspicious brows.

"Alright, guys – prom."

"Please tell me we're not doing songs about prom," Sam began, Schuester shaking his head.

"Nope – we are the prom. Figgins has asked us to perform."

"Let's do Run Joey Run!" Suggested Rachel, everyone sending her a skeptical look.

"That's a joke. . right? Please tell me that's a joke," Winona looked over at her, while Sam cocked his head— he had so much to learn.

"Now, I know this isn't ideal with Nationals coming up, but we really don't have a choice. And, we could really use the money," Mr. Schue went on, "But I know that prom is a special rite of passage. I want to make sure that all of you guys get a chance to enjoy the dance, too. So we're gonna stag at the performances so that each and every one of you has a lot of time to dance with your dates."

Mercedes stood up, excusing herself and leaving the room.

"Is she okay?"

"She doesn't have a date for prom."

"So?" Queried Brittany, "I don't have a date. I'm just going to dance. And then all of your dates are gonna ignore you and come dance with me, so...your dates are really my dates."

Rachel left to go talk to Mercedes, Finn taking the opportunity to have the floor.

"Okay, Winona? I stayed up late trying to figure out how to properly ask you to prom. . and this was all I got, so I hope you like it," Finn began, gesturing at some people to join him at the front of the room.

Mike, Eric, Sam, Kurt and Puck stood up, standing in a line and all holding the zippers for their sweaters.

"So. . consider this my official promposal."

They unzipped their sweaters, each of their shirts with the letters P, R, O, M, and a question mark. Though, two of them mixed up their order, leaving it to spell out prmo? instead. Still, Winona got the memo after Finn instructed Sam and Kurt to switch spots.

"Aren't you going with Quinn?"

"No, we're just running together. The only dance we'll be doing together is the King and Queen's dance once we win," Quinn explained, smiling. Finn looked at Winona expectantly, leading her to nod and smile.

"In that case, of course."

Finn couldn't help but sweep her off her feet and giver her a kiss on the cheek. Clearly, Rachel walked in at the wrong time, her face nearly turning red in jealousy as all eyes remained on the couple.

( — — )

"Ladies, I appreciate you welcoming me into the sacred inner sanctum that is the prom gown dry run," Kurt announced, clapping.

"Why did we decide to include Kurt?"

"Because getting a look past him is like getting a thumbs-up from Joan and Melissa Rivers. It just might boost our pre-prom buzz factor."

"True dat," Winona agreed. She wished Quinn could have been there, but she could actually afford nice dresses, leaving the rest of them to scour for affordable stuff.

Lauren walked out from behind the makeshift dressing room curtains, wearing a large yellow dress. She didn't look very comfortable.

"I look like a lemon meringue pie."

"I think you look delicious," Shrugged Brittany.

"Don't despair, nobody bigger than a size 2 looks good in a prom dress – I mean, they're practically designed to make us look awkward. I think the color is wrong. Let's go navy! It's chic and slimming."