forty-one; rumours

— this may have been one of my favourite episodes to write damn

Winona hated seeing Sam going through something as tough as losing his house— But she was adamant on helping him, even if he claimed he didn't need it.

She offered whatever she could, clothes (which didn't help much), spare cash, non perishable food, babysitting assistance. He was reluctant to accept any of it, but finally complied as long as she promised not to tell anyone about it. Unfortunately, Rachel found a way to take something innocent and spin it into something terrible for her own gain.

Winona was sitting in the choir room with Sam, discussing what his favourite soup was so she could bring him some cans of it, when Finn stormed through the door.

"What the hell is this, dude?" He exclaimed, catching the pair's attention, "What blonde, angry glee clubber is having a secret Moonlight Motel rendezvous with another big-lipped blondie?"

Winona's eyes widened, "What the hell are you talking about?"

Sam took the paper from Finn, "Where does it say that?"

"Right on the front page of the school newspaper!"

Quinn pulled Finn away from Sam, "You don't seriously believe this, do you?"

"Well, why shouldn't I? Why wouldn't she cheat on me, like every other girl has?"

"It's gossip, Finn, you have to trust me," Winona insisted. She was not about the let a rumour ruin her relationship, "who convinced you to believe this garbage anyways?"

"My money's on Rachel," Shrugged Lauren.

Santana stormed in to yell at Brittany, while Winona looked over to Rachel, who was standing feebly at the door to the choir room. Her guilty expression said it all.

"You did this, didn't you?" Winona hissed, approaching the girl. Rachel slowly nodded, jumping to defend herself.

"It's true though, isn't it?"

"No!" Winona nearly lunged at Rachel, Sam catching her by the waist and pulling her back, "I'm not cheating on my boyfriend! Just because you're still madly in love with him doesn't mean you should make up a rumour like that!"

"It's not just a rumour and you know it!" Rachel went on defensively. Sam carefully passed Winona over to Quinn, who had the same grip on her waist in case Rachel decided to dig herself in a deeper hole and give Winona a reason to commit murder.

"I swear I'm gonna punch your face off!" Finn exclaimed to Sam now that he was rid of Winona being in his arms. The two started shoving each other.

"You got a lot of nerve accusing me of that!"

"Hey!" Exclaimed Mr. Schue, stepping between the two of them, "Finn, where are you going? We have rehearsal!"

Finn stormed off, completely out the door, "Not today."

Winona was seated, sitting with her arms crossed and glaring at Rachel. If looks could kill, she'd be dead.

"I'm sorry," Whispered Sam, looking at Winona with a guilty gaze, "you can stop helping me now, I don't want it to hurt your relationship with Finn."

"No. Absolutely not, my relationship can handle this. You deserve that help, Finn just has to trust me."

( — — )

Finn and Winona had been getting slightly distant since he accused her of cheating with Sam. Still, there they were, sitting at the Lima Bean with a large majority of their friends— conspiring about Sam after Kurt was spotted hugging him and leaving the same Motel Winona was caught at with him previously. Quinn and Winona, being the only ones who knew the truth, tried to defend him without giving anything away.